Who have you shared your birth story/stories with?

I am always interested to hear or read other women's birth stories. There are some really amazing and inspiring birth stories here. I find the sharing of our birth stories and pregnancy experiences really helpful and it helps to inform me to make better decisions.

I have shared my birth story with some friends but I wonder if I sometimes hold back from sharing it. Obviously, it is a very personal experience and tells part of my family's story. Also, because I experienced post traumatic stress after the birth of my son I often find myself getting emotional or (re-living parts of the birth I had forgot) during the telling of his birth story. However, I find the more I tell of my birth experiences; the better I can come to terms with them.

I particularly enjoyed reading Jane's account of Jarred's Birth as she tells the story with such honesty. That is something else I can find difficult when I am telling my birth story - I don't want to 'wash over' the intensity of the experience or trivialise it but sometimes I feel I don't have the words to describe the whole event.

I would love to hear others thoughts on this especially as I start to work with my doula to prepare and plan for my next birth.

Best wishes,

LJ

I love reading birth stores. At times during my pregnancies, I would spend hours pouring over the birth stories of others. Yet, I have a difficult time sharing my own. It is such a powerful experience, so rich with emotion. I've discussed the basics with plenty of people, my doula clients, random folks at the grocery store- once someone finds out what I do for a living (doula), they want to talk about their own birth experiences.

Though it was a little difficult for me, I shared the story of my last birth on this forum a few months ago.

I had 5 homebirths, and thought there were challenges in all of them, I enjoyed sharing them with anyone who showed an interest. Now, I'm not a very "social" person, by nature, so I only had family and a few close friends, but I was put on the referral list of one of my midwives, so I got some calls from women who were considering her as their birth attendant - so I was able to share my experiences with them.

I was always very honest about how everything went, and when I would mention that we had a challenge, I was always quick to point out that the positive outcomes of those challenges shows how important it is that you have a skilled midwife. Had I been in the hospital, my outcomes would have been MUCH different - worse for both baby and me.

I also found that by sharing the experiences, it empowered me to be more prepared for the next births. I, too, enjoyed watching birth videos (youtube wasn't around at that time, so these were actual videos of my midwife's past clients and some other videos she had purchased for her library) and I enjoyed reading birth stories. I suppose that the more I learned about the births of others, the more empowered I became.

And on that note, I want to empower you with this video of a woman who had challenges far beyond mine, but who overcome her traumatic birth experience to experience the most amazing home birth of her twins. Laura-Jane, I have seen you take control and be proactive about creating the best possible birth experience for yourself with this pregnancy, and I believe that as you continue to work through your traumatic first birth experience, that you'll experience the most amazing birth of your 2nd child.

Quote Originally Posted by 5Homebirths4Kate View Post

And on that note, I want to empower you with this video of a woman who had challenges far beyond mine, but who overcome her traumatic birth experience to experience the most amazing home birth of her twins. Laura-Jane, I have seen you take control and be proactive about creating the best possible birth experience for yourself with this pregnancy, and I believe that as you continue to work through your traumatic first birth experience, that you'll experience the most amazing birth of your 2nd child.
    Oh my goodness - thank you so much Kate. Your kind, supportive words mean so much. Thank you. I really feel like I can have the birth, and bonding experience with my newborn, that I have been hoping for now. I do feel informed, empowered and I also feel excited.

That video is just beautiful. What an amazing lady and a wonderful family. It is great that she wanted to share her story with the world. I do think the the sharing of our personal birth stories can help other ladies with their births - they have helped me.

Mom2many - your birth story is wonderful. I think you were strong and were ready to do what was best for your, your baby and your family at all times. Thank you again for sharing your story and I am sure it will help other ladies to follow their hearts during birth.

With best wishes,

LJ

My 1st boy I had an epidural with and loads of gas and air and it knocked me out at one stage they have to wake me up I wouldnt have it again if i had any more kids because i didn't remember much and couldn't remember much pain . They had me in hospital for 3 days before in slow labour which felt like weeks on end , i hate hospitals as it is .

My second boy they said 3 weeks before he had not turned like he should have so i would have to have a c section , so they told me i had to be in hospital for 3 weeks aswell . But guess what .... a week later i heard them outside the door saying " we need beds big time and i think his lady only lives down the rd and aslong as we tell her to ring in if any problems she should be ok !" even that i hated hospital they have a cheek because i was so scared of having a c section and was scared my little one was not moving how he should be .

Anyway just so happens i went home and went back the day they told me for a c section and bugger me the little bugger had turned so i could have a a normal birth ( I was a bit gutted because i got myself ready for c section and thinking i would have a little boy by the end of the night ) .
    So just as she went to get my forms to go home she came back in and said " there have had another idea they want to start you off and see how it goes ". So i stayed in and they had to start me off twice then by mid night i was in labour but there was no room down stairs and they said i may need to have baby where i was . so i said " can i have my partner here please now then " she went to ask and they said no because i was upstairs on ward i was heart broken . all this time i had no gas and air because they kept trying to ring and get me in down stairs .... anyway i remember the pain and holding on to the bed and no word of a lie i looked up and said " dad help me do this " ( because i am not one for pain at all ) . So when i got really bad i remember one nice nurse saying " i know i should but i am ringing your man and letting him in " so she did ring him and tell him to come up

Anyway i got near the end and i said to nurse i need to push soon she went to get other nurse and they said please hold in for 5 mins we got a place down stairs , i remember them saying not long just down lift just hold on ....... then in the lift i remember saying please i know i need to push ...... she said we are 1 min away as they got me out of lift and just got in door way i had to push i couldn't wait no longer .

So as all this is happening my partner was coming and had ran upstairs to be told to go back down ..... i remember him running in the door way and one more push and little one was here .

Even that it ended up all good if he would have missed birth because of the hospital i would have been so upset with them all .

Hi yummymummy,

Thanks for sharing your birth experiences. I've heard of mums being told "not to push" and I simply can't imagine that. When the body has that uncontrollable urge to push, the baby needs to come. I've breathed through a contraction while holding baby's head at one point while crowning, so that my tissues would stretch naturally without tearing, but other than that, I pushed when my body told me to.

Have you considered using a midwife for your next birth? Statistics show that midwife attended births have much better outcomes. If you had a birth at home or in a birthing center there wouldn't be any concern about your partner not being present or about not pushing. Midwives support the natural birth process as if you were birthing with just you and your partner there - they offer support when you need it and keep an eye on how you and bub are doing, but it's all done in a very relaxed, supportive atmosphere and sometimes midwives will actually go out of the room to just let you labour on your own, if this is what you want (while checking in periodically to make sure you're doing well).

If you think you may have another child in the future, I would definitely encourage you to read some homebirth stories to see if those experiences are more along the lines of what you would want.

Hi yummymummy,

Thank you for sharing your birth stories with us here.

I'm sorry to hear about the way you were treated in hospital and you were not able to just 'go with your body' and push when you felt the urge to.

I also wonder, if you were going to have another child, if you have heard of hypnobirthing? I am currently taking a hypnobirthing course with my doula after a traumatic labour with my first baby. It's been really interesting to learn how respecting a woman in labour and allowing her to deeply relax can make the surges (contractions) manageable and the birthing experience a positive one. I believe that this along with having my trusted doula with me at my birth will enable it to go as smoothly as possible and be an experience in which I can trust my body and my baby.

Thanks again for sharing your stories.

With best wishes,

LJ