Hybrid View

Whopping Cough??

I have heard lots of stories of Whopping Cough getting really bad. Should my daughter and I get the shot to protect us against that before the baby is born?

Choose Vaccines Wisely

Hi Carlsonang,

You are wise to be questioning the whooping cough vaccine as convulsion that causes permanent brain damage has always been the most dreaded complication of whooping cough vaccine.

Anytime you're going to consider getting a vaccine or giving your child a vaccine you'll want to do your research and make the best decision possible for your family.

Here is an excellent article on the Whooping Cough Vaccine by the National Vaccine Information Center. Pertussis (Whooping Cough) & Pertussis Vaccine

You'll notice that there are different manufacturers of this vaccine, and animal reproduction studies have not been done on some of them which means that it is not known whether some vaccines can cause fetal harm when administered to a pregnant woman, or can affect reproductive capacity.

I will ask our resident midwife, Jane, to take a look at your question to see if she has any thoughts to share, but do read the page about the Whooping Cough/Pertussis Vaccine mentioned above. There's also some very good information in the vaccination forum area on this site.

Warm regards,

Kate
    Last edited by 5Homebirths4Kate; 18th June 2012 at 06:07 AM.

Administrator
    Hi Carlsonang,

I can understand your concern -whooping cough outbreaks are occurring. Like Kate I suggest you do some research on vaccination. A great resource is the book "The Parents Concise Guide to Childhood Vaccinations". Also talk to your midwife or doctor about vaccination.

Being vaccinated against an illness in pregnancy generally isn’t advisable. Some vaccines during pregnancy pose a possible risk to the baby. Limited evidence has been gathered to date on the effects of vaccines on pregnant women. On the other hand, Australia’s National Health and Medical Research Council states that no convincing evidence exists for vaccines being harmful to the baby (though more research is necessary). Vaccination may be recommended when the risk of the disease is greater than the theoretical risk of the vaccine to the baby.
    Hidden Content aussiemidwife
    Moderator Pregnancy, Birth and Beyond
    Hidden Content