As I have been preparing for caring for a newborn baby again, I have been thinking more about when my son was first born. I think back to the difficulties I first had with breastfeeding and how far this is from feeding my now 18 month old these days without a second thought. In those early days, when I felt lonely and overwhelmed, I had a friend who encouraged and inspired me to carry on breastfeeding.

Her name is Liz and she has a daughter two years older than my son who she breastfed. She was the person I could text, email or even call in the middle of the night to ask for help. Liz shared some helpful on-line breastfeeding resources with me and she steered me away from some negative advice I had been given.

I wanted to share this on this post to remind all those breastfeeding mums that we are often encouraging and helping others just by sharing our breastfeeding experiences and knowledge. Also, I wanted to say thank you to Liz! I would love to hear your stories of friends, support workers or professionals who encouraged and supported you in the early days of breastfeeding. What a difference these people can make!

Best wishes,

LJ