Worst Pregnancy Advice

I remember when I was pregnant with my oldest child my mom told me that I shouldn't raise my hands above my head because it might cause the cord to be wrapped around the baby's neck. I knew it sounded ridiculous but I was young and scared and so for the entire nine months I never lifted my hands above my shoulders. Looking back on it now I realize how silly I was being.. This i just one of the numerous little tidbits of pregnancy advice I've gotten over the years from family, friends, and even well-meaning strangers.

What is the worst piece of pregnancy advice you've ever been given?

That one gave me a good laugh. LOL I swam with my last two babies, up to their due dates. Lots of raising of the arms above my shoulders for that, and both babies were just fine (no cord wrapping). Still chuckling over that one.

Can't think of any "wrong" well meaning pregnancy advice I was given. Anyone else?

Hee hee this post has made me giggle!

Hmmm let me see, I was told my a well-meaning friend not to bend forwards too far during pregnancy!

When I was pregnant of my eldest son, I was told not to eat dark colored foods because elders said that it will stick on the skin of the baby forming different dark shapes around the body.

so for 9 months i decline eating dark colored foods.

Sara,

That is too funny! Eating dark foods will not affect a baby's skin color or create birth marks. Eating high quality foods that are dense in nutrients will help create a healthy baby with healthy skin, and that includes dark green leafy vegetables and dark red beets.

Warm regards,

Kate

Yes that is very tru ms. kate.

That one made me giggle too Sara!

I have heard something similar, that chocolate would cause the baby to have brown birth marks. I have a dark brown birthmark on my stomach that my mom calls a chocolate mark. =)

Quote Originally Posted by mom2many View Post
    I have heard something similar, that chocolate would cause the baby to have brown birth marks. I have a dark brown birthmark on my stomach that my mom calls a chocolate mark. =)
    Snap i was told the same , when i look back and think of all different stuff i was told i feel a bit silly for taking it all in .

It's such a shame there are so many pregnancy myths and so much bad advice out there. Particularly with a first baby, a woman can feel nervous and unsure as to what advice to follow. It's a great thing that this forum does it's bit to dispel these pregnancy myths which can be worrying for mums.

I agree LJ. Many of the myths are harmless, but there are so many that are negative and cause issues for new mums. Same with breastfeeding =/