Hybrid View

Exercise During Pregnancy

Hi,

This forum is very helpful for expecting mums like me. Is it okay if I exercise during my pregnancy? What are the safe exercises that I can do? I am worried about the weight that I will gain during this time and I would like to be healthy as well.

Thanks,
    Charline
    Last edited by kaylacharlinemarkibanez; 18th June 2012 at 04:07 AM. Reason: typo

Hi Charline,

Thank you for your post. Congratulations on your pregnancy and welcome to the forum!

It is healthy to exercise during pregnancy. How much you exercise depends on what your activity levels were pre-pregnancy. How much did you exercise before you became pregnant? It is generally fine to continue with these levels of exercise (if you are comfortable with them) during pregnancy. As a general rule, when you are pregnant and exercising you should not be so out of breath that you could not hold a conversation. Contact sports are obviously not advisable during pregnancy. It is also best not to lie on your back for very long during pregnancy (particularly after the 20th week). You should stay well hydrated when you exercise.

It is great that you want to exercise and stay healthy during pregnancy as this will help you to have a quicker labour. There are some really helpful articles on Exercise and Pregnancy here. Many pregnant ladies enjoy yoga classes specially designed for pregnancy.

Best wishes,

LJ

Thank you LJ!

Before I always go to the gym for 2 hrs intense exercises. Now, walking is my form of exercise.

Thank you!
    Charline