Thread: Hello,

Hybrid View

Hello,

What impact does a mother s blood group have on a child, especially if the mother is from a negative blood group

Negative blood groups are somewhat rare, but when a mother does have a negative group, as in A-, B-, 0-, etc, then it is generally recommended that she receive a shot that produces a special antibody, intended to protect the baby from any negative effects during birth. Most mothers will receive this shot, known as the RhoGAM shot at 28 weeks and then again after the baby is born.

If you and your partner are negative, then your baby will be negative too and there is no risk. If you are negative and your partner is positive, then the baby could go either way. In the first pregnancy, the risk is pretty low of even this having a negative effect. However, with subsequent pregnancies, the antibodies that make your blood "negative" can build up in attack the babies "positive" cells leading to a serious condition.

You can learn more about the RhoGAM shot at the official website.

It is true that if a mother has a negative Rh factor, and the baby has a postive Rh factor, that this can cause problems and the mother will be offered the RhoGAM shot during her pregnancy.

However I'd like to correct one statement that was made above. If the mother and the father both have Rh negative blood (A-, B-, O- or AB-) they CAN produce a baby with Rh positive blood, and likewise, if a mother and father both have Rh positive blood, they can produce a baby with Rh negative blood.

My husband is blood type O+ and I am blood type AB+. Our 3rd and 5th children are blood type A-. They got the negative Rhesus from a grandparent (their grandmother is Rh-).

HOWEVER - each child receives their blood type antigens directly from their parents (grandparents are not involved determining the blood types of their grandchildren). Every person has two blood type antigens.

My blood type antigens are A and B, and both express themselves equally (I'm AB+). My husband's antigens are O and o, and his blood type is O+.

Each of our children got either an A or a B from me, and an O from my husband (he only had two O's to give).

Anytime you have an A and an O, the dominant antigen will be A, and the recessive will be O. So each of our children are either Ao (type A) or Bo (type B) We couldn't produce a type O child because I didn't have an O to give.

Someone who is blood type A can be Ao or Aa but they will be typed as blood type A. Type B people can be Bo or Bb, but both will be typed as blood type B.

Warm regards,

Kate

Thank you for the correction Kate. I was not aware of that fact, very good to know for future reference.

You're welcome. I wasn't aware of it until we had our 3rd who needed the heart/lung bi-pass machine prepped with blood that matched his... so had to do a lot of research at that point