Hybrid View

They said my son is sick

My middle child's teacher ask me to go to school because the Guidance Counselor needs to talk to me about my son's situation. I immediately go to school thinking my child did something bad to his classmate. The counselor told me that my son possibly has ADHD. I really don't know what is ADHD means, so when I got home I searched it through the internet and I found out that it's all about his attitude. Please I want some advice on how to deal with this. Thanks!

Hi Chay,

ADHD stands for Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder. I have working with a number of children in the past who have ADHD. Typically, children who have ADHD have difficulty concentrating on tasks and seem 'hyperactive'. It is not an attitude problem - it is now thought to be a medical condition which causes the child to behave in this way. It's not the child's fault that they find it difficult to concentrate; many children with ADHD are easily distracted from a task or fidget a lot.

Did the school talk about how they can help to support you in this? I would advice going to see your doctor about it. It can be difficult to diagnose ADHD but your doctor can start to assess your son for this. Your doctor or school may also be able to teach you techniques for dealing with your son's ADHD and you could also ask if there is a local support group for parents of a child who has ADHD as other parent's experiences with this can be invaluable. In some cases, the doctor will prescribe medication for the ADHD or your doctor may advice behavioural therapy or social skills learning.

There is also evidence that ADHD is better controlled in children who eat a balanced, healthy diet. It may also be the case that certain food types make the ADHD worse in your son (for example, those high in sugar or caffeine). You could keep a note of the food he eats on days when his behaviour seems more difficult and then trial eliminate any likely causes.

ADHD effects around 5% of children so you are not alone in this. I think the first step should be to ascertain if your doctor (or other medical professionals) feel that your son does have ADHD and then to explore the therapy/medication options from here. Some of the medications offered do have side effects. It may be helpful to start analysing his diet now, regardless of whether he is diagnosed with ADHD.

I hope this helps and let us know how you get on.

Best wishes,

LJ
    Last edited by ljmarsden; 27th June 2012 at 11:56 PM.

Hi LJ! Thank you for that beautiful advice. We are actually scheduled to see his doctor next week. But it's actually way too much

You're very welcome - I'm glad you find it helpful.

What's way too much? I hope you can see the doctor together soon and get the help and support you need.

Thinking of you,

LJ

There will likely be some cost, whether it's in the form of doctor visits and drugs, or in the form of purchasing healthier foods and paying for the proper tests to address the underlying cause of the ADHD.

Here are two videos that have a lot of very good information on how you can treat ADHD naturally. Please watch them and then post back with any comments or questions you may have. We're here to support you in the choices that will make life happier and easier for you and your family.

Last edited by 5Homebirths4Kate; 20th September 2012 at 02:03 PM.