I ate luke warm chicken

Hi, I feel a little silly about positing this, but I am really worried because I am finally pregnant after multiple failed ivf cycles, and I am worried that I may have done something wrong. I am 8 weeks pregnant. I have been so careful with my diet but last night a had a few friends come over for dinner and I made chicken fajitas. I had the chicken cooking on the stove top and turned it off when ready. My dinner guests were late so we didn't eat until 20-30 min later, by then the chicken was luke warm. I was so tired I didn't think to reheat it and we ate it. I am now worried about listeria as I understand that I have to eat food piping hot especially chicken. I hope I am just being too paranoid. Apologies for the silly question, Is there a risk of listeria in this situation? I guess I am extra panicky given the difficult and long journey it took us to get pregnant.

There is a risk, somewhat, but it is extremely low. I wouldn't worry too much about it. I am not a midwife by the way, but a mother of four who used to freak out about everything . Congrats on the pregnancy, try not to stress too much. The chicken was cooked and still warm, both render the risk of listeria relatively low. However, from this point forward, always remember to eat meat piping hot and wash vegetables thoroughly. Just to be extra safe. =)

Hi Jen,

Congratulations on your pregnancy!

I've eaten chicken "luke warm" many times and so has my family - never had a problem.

Please post back and let us know how you're doing. I'm guessing you didn't get any kind of an upset stomach or diarrhea after eating your fajitas. Sounds like the chicken was cooked all the way through, so very little risk, if any of causing any problems.

Warm regards,

Kate