Post Dysmenorrhea before and after birth.

Is it true that dysmenorrhea you used to have every month prior to getting pregnant will disappear after giving birth? My Mom told me she used to have them. However, as soon as she got pregnant and gave birth to my sister, her first born, she said she never experienced painful periods ever again.

This can be true for some women, because painful periods are caused by hormonal imbalance. When you get pregnant, your hormones change in order to support the pregnancy, and when you give birth your hormones change again. So going through pregnancy changes and birth changes can leave a woman with better hormonal balance after giving birth, thus eliminating painful periods.

Warm regards,

Kate

Hi!

Thanks for the sharing your view on this one. I guess my Mom was one of those women who got lucky to have gotten away from these painful periods.

Regards,

Rhea

Quote Originally Posted by 5Homebirths4Kate View Post
    This can be true for some women, because painful periods are caused by hormonal imbalance. When you get pregnant, your hormones change in order to support the pregnancy, and when you give birth your hormones change again. So going through pregnancy changes and birth changes can leave a woman with better hormonal balance after giving birth, thus eliminating painful periods.

Warm regards,

Kate

This was my experience as well, after my first child, my periods were no longer painful.

-Angela

Often and thankfully this is the case.
    Dysmenorrhea is a complex issue but often easily be dealt with; calcium supplementation often helps and also ensuring that your pelvis is functioning normally in "mechanical" terms. An osteopath could help with this.