How long breast milk lasts?

Hi! I'm just curious about breastfeeding. I know that there are babies who drink less breast milk than others. So I'd like to know if the baby happens to feed less but you have a lot of breast milk left that you have pumped out and stored in a feeding bottle, how many days does a bottle of refrigerated breast milk usually lasts?

One of the most wonderful things about breastfeeding is that the breast produces what the baby demands, and adjusts when the baby wants more or less.

Typically most babies will demand more than less. If a mum has a feverish baby she will put her baby to the breast often in order to keep the baby well hydrated. If bub is going through a growth spurt, he will suckle at the breast more, and within about 24 hours, the breast will start producing more milk to adjust to baby's needs.

But sometimes we do need to pump, and that's usually if mum is going to be away from bub for more than 2 hours, or if mum is having a difficult time getting breastfeeding well established (if bub doesn't latch well, etc.).

In that case, the following are recommendations from La Leche League, International.

Breastmilk can be safely stored...

-At room temperature for 4 hours (ideal) to 6 hours (acceptable), some sources state up to 8 hours is acceptable.
    -In the fridge for 3 days (ideal) to 8 days (acceptable).
    -In the freezer for 6 months (ideal) up to 12 months (acceptable).

Hope this helps.

Warm regards,

Kate

Hi there, Kate!

Thanks for the very helpful information you gave me. This will surely equip me in preparing myself and my partner for pregnancy and parenthood. I really appreciate sharing these things to me and to everyone else here in the forum.

Regards,

Rhea

That's great that you are preparing yourself so well Rhea! Reliable information is a great tool when it comes to breastfeeding.

I wish you and your partner all the best,

LJ