Thread: Stretch marks

Post Stretch marks

What is the best way to prevent stretch marks? I noticed on my sister's belly that she does have a lot of stretch marks after she gave birth. I'd like to know how can I avoid having those marks on my belly after giving birth, since I'm planning to get pregnant soon? Are there better practices that can be applied, or some remedies that can help with that?

One of the best ways to prevent stretch marks is to rub oil into the skin as soon as you start to notice your belly growing. I did this with my first baby and didn't have a single stretch mark.

Something else that can help skin to have good elasticity is avoid foods with refined sugar, increase your dark green leafy vegetable intake (like Romaine Lettuce, Chard, Collard Greens, Kale, Spinach, Beet Greens, etc.) and increase your antioxidant intake. Blueberries are high in antioxidants, as are red grapes.

A healthy diet will go a long way towards keeping you and your baby healthy during pregnancy.

Warm regards,

Kate

Hi there!

Yes, I've read about some oils doing that job for pregnant women. And I didn't know that foods containing certain substances can also affect our skin. Thanks for the information.

Regards,

Rhea

Quote Originally Posted by 5Homebirths4Kate View Post
    One of the best ways to prevent stretch marks is to rub oil into the skin as soon as you start to notice your belly growing. I did this with my first baby and didn't have a single stretch mark.

Something else that can help skin to have good elasticity is avoid foods with refined sugar, increase your dark green leafy vegetable intake (like Romaine Lettuce, Chard, Collard Greens, Kale, Spinach, Beet Greens, etc.) and increase your antioxidant intake. Blueberries are high in antioxidants, as are red grapes.

A healthy diet will go a long way towards keeping you and your baby healthy during pregnancy.

Warm regards,

Kate

Great advice Kate!

I rub almond oil into my bump each morning after my shower. This worked really well with my first baby as I am lucky to not have any stretch marks! However, everyone is different and some women are more susceptible to them. Also, stretch marks do tend to fade with time.

LJ

Rubbing oil on the skin is so good for so many things Coconut oil is another really good oil for the skin. Can also be used on dry skin, on the elbows, hands and ankles. But usually dry skin is an indication that the body is lacking in Essential Fatty Acids, so flax oil can be helpful with this during pregnancy.

Warm regards,

Kate

Just wanted to say that I am a big believer in using oil rubs to prevent stretch marks. I use almond or Vitamin E oil during pregnancy and I have managed to have four babies and no stretch marks. =)

There are many ways to prevent stretch mark during and after pregnancy. The basic idea is to moisturize your skin so that it remains well-hydrated. Drink lots of water to keep yourself hydrated. You can also consume anti-oxidant rich black, white or green tea. During pregnancy, massage regularly your whole body with aroma oil before taking bath. This reduces the chances of getting stretch marks after pregnancy.

Thanks for sharing this helpful information alexandrah.