Hybrid View

breastfeed publicly

My baby is one year and one month old now. I am seeking for answers on do I really
    need to breastfeed her until two years of age? I'm having a hard time on letting her suck
    on a bottle of milk, not even on a dummy. Everytime we go out like going to mall or in church,
    I really have to breastfeed her publicly. I would greatly appreciate if you'd like to discuss
    some information with me.

Hi HavingAPrincess,

You'll find that we're big proponents of breastfeeding as long as you and your bub are enjoying it. I breastfed all 5 of my babies in public... often. I was very discreet about it, just lifted up my shirt and latched bub on. Baby's body would cover my bare belly and their mouth would be covered by my shirt, so it just looked like I was holding and cuddling my baby.

You can also use a lightweight receiving blanket to cover yourself if you prefer to be more covered. I also found that as my baby got older and needed less feeds, that I could do my breastfeeding in the car before going into church or the store, or I could excuse myself if we were at a friend's and take my baby into a bedroom for her feed.

It sounds like she's not interested in a dummy or a bottle (which is very natural after breastfeeding for a year). You could start to offer her your breastmilk or even goat milk or cow milk in a cup now, if you want to. I went straight from breast to cup when I was 13 months old (and that was before they had "sippy cups").

Let me know what your biggest concern is. Are you receiving negative comments when you breastfeed in public? Is breastfeeding in public your biggest motivator in wanting to wean your baby?

Warm regards,

Kate

Dear Kate,

Thank you for the reply. It's just that my husband doesn't want me to do it
    in public and I don't understand the reasons why. Perhaps, he doesn't want
    to let anybody see mine..but, I have no choice because my baby doesn't want
    to sip on a bottle. It's alright, anyway, I'll just take your advise.

Thanks,

havingaprincess

Hi havingaprincess,

That must be difficult for you. I think it is great that you want to continue to give your daughter breast milk as there are excellent nutritional, social and emotional benefits of breastfeeding beyond a year. The current WHO (World Health Organisation) guidelines are that it is best if babies are breastfeed exclusively for 6 months and then with some food introduced for from 6 months, and continuing to breastfeed to 2 years of age and beyond.

However, I can understand how you are feeling as if you do not feel those around you are supportive then you can feel uncomfortable. If you wanted to cover up more, you could try a 'breastfeeding apron' which allows you to look in at the top without anyone else seeing. Does your husband understand the health benefits to your baby of continuing breastfeeding? Is it only in breastfeeding in public that he is negative about? Perhaps you could take him with you to a breastfeeding support group? - my local one is excellent and is a good chance for partners to see how normal and natural breastfeeding is.

You have our support here,

Best wishes,

LJ

HI ljmarsden,

I really appreciate about your reply. Yes, I think it is also good to take him with me
    in a breastfeeding support group.

Thanks,

havingaprincess

You are very welcome havingaprincess.

Do let us know if you need any further support or help with this. That's what we're here for on this forum!

LJ

Dear ljmarsden,

a lot of THANKS!

God Bless,

havingaprincess

You are very welcome havingaprincess!

With warm wishes,

LJ