Hybrid View

Does breast size matter when breastfeeding?

Hi everyone,

A friend of mine who is at the last few weeks of her pregnancy would like to know if the size of a woman's breast matters when it comes to breastfeeding.

She confides that she is a bit worried with the fact that she has small breasts; and that these small breasts she have might not be producing enough milk or any milk at all. She also tells me that there are pregnant women like her that have fine breast sizes and already produce milk while conceiving. Does breast size really matter when it comes to breastfeeding? Would a baby get enough milk whether mum's breast is small or big?

Hope to receive your replies.

MumO'Three

Hi MumO'Three,

No - the size of your breasts does not affect your ability to produce breast milk or to breastfeed. Most of the differences in the size of women's breasts is due to the amount of fat in their breasts. It is the tissue which produces and stores breast milk which is important for breastfeeding (and this is not affected by the amount of fat in the breasts).

Many women find that their breasts get bigger during the end of pregnancy and also once their breast milk comes in. I hope this reassures your friend and I wish her all the best with her baby.

Best wishes,

LJ

Breast size makes no difference in the ability to breastfeed. I have very small breasts that do not expand until after birth. Even then, they will not necessary be huge.

All the Best,
    Angela