Hybrid View

Can my wife have coffee everynow and then?

My name is Hans and I am an expectant father. My wife is currently on his 4th month of pregnancy. My question is:

Can a woman really intake caffeine/coffee while pregnant? I have been on other forums and have read a lot of pregnancy books,and the answers are always different. There are answers saying a pregnant woman can't, some say that it can be allowed but not more than a cup. I really want to drink coffee, I just don't know if it'll be safe for my baby.

Thanks in advance,
    Hans

Hello Hans,

With your wife's other health challenges of not gaining weight well, getting constipated and having migraine headaches, I would have to say that coffee for her is NOT a good idea and could be contributing to her other challenges.

She can wean herself off of it by reducing her intake by 1/4 of a cup each day, or she can just stop altogether, depending upon what she wants to do.

If she's only having coffee every now and then I'd suggest that she try an herbal tea like Red Raspberry Leaf Tea which has iron in it and is exceptionally good during pregnancy in helping to tone the uterus and prepare it for birth.

Warm regards,

Kate

We're really not much of a tea people and this red raspberry leaf tea is kinda new to me. I will try this out.

I will take your advice Ma'am Kate, we couldn't have thought about that it may be contributing to her distress. Thank you so much!

Another beverage your wife might really enjoy instead of coffee is warm lemonade. This is where you would squeeze half of a lemon into some warm water, add some honey or pure maple syrup or brown sugar (to taste) and sip or drink.

Lemon is very good for the liver and good during pregnancy. I prefer warm lemonade (or cold lemonade) to tea. I'm not a tea person, however I did drink Red Raspberry Leaf Tea 3 times a day at the end of my last pregnancy, and I had the easiest, fastest labour and birth of all my births.

Warm regards,

Kate

Hans,

Another suggestion for your wife may be Teccinno herbal coffee. I am a doula and I give samples of it to my clients who are trying to wean themselves off of coffee. It is all natural and caffeine free. It comes in a variety of flavors, many of which taste very much like conventional coffee.

Hope that helps!

Hi Hans,

I do agree with Kate and mom2many. Coffee is high in caffeine and may cause the migraines that your wife may be having. Hormonal imbalances do happen prior to, within and even after pregnancy. The best thing to do, especially when a woman is pregnant and has a history on some sort of "addiction" if I may call it (e.g. coffee, carbonated drinks, alcohol or even tobacco) is to stop whatever may not be good for her.

I may not be that good in giving advice especially knowing that I am neither a doctor or a midwife but I sure know that caffeine, from drinking coffee, does have side effects especially for women who are expecting.

Best regards!