When Should Sex Education be Introduced to Kids?

Hi Everybody,

I would really be happy to know about your opinions about teaching sex education to kids of 7 or 8 years of age.

As I could remember, I learned about the reproductive system when I was in 4th grade. But that was basically Science and was part of teaching students about our body's systems and their Functions (ex. Digestive system, Excretory, Respiratory, etc.).

I was a bit shocked to know that there are some schools nowadays that promote and even implement sex education in their curriculum. To pre-teens sure or to teenagers, sure that is what should be nowadays.. but with kids who know only about barbies and gi joe's, it is kind of a real shock to me.

Are kids too young to know about sex or due to the increase in sex related crimes or the sort these days, sex education should become part of every talk during dinner.. even with 7 or 8 year old kids around.

Hope to hear from all of you.

Sex education at 7 or 8 years of age? Not for OUR family!

Actually, this is one reason why we have chosen to homeschool our children. We want to be the ones to teach our children about sex when we feel the time is right.

When you have a family that teaches courtship, and that you guard your heart against becoming attached to a person of the opposite sex until you have a job that can support a wife (and for some, a family too), you typically don't have to teach a child about sex until just before the wedding. This may be very foreign to most people, but I believe that it is wonderful because in this situation the marriage will be much stronger and you actually set your children up to have a successful, FULFILLING marriage.

I think this video explains very well one of the best ways to go about educating your children on the sexual relationship AND it shows how very important it is for a young man to cherish his bride, not just view her as a sex object.

I guess it depends on what you consider sex education. For us sex is very much considered a natural part of life. I would not say that my children are getting sex education per say, but they have age appropriate knowledge. My five and seven year old know the scientific terms for genitals and know that baby's come out of vaginas. They have seen women give birth in videos. They know that moms and dads create baby's together, though they do not know about intercourse yet.

While remaining age-appropriate, I am very honest with my children. If they ask a question, I give them the best and most pragmatic answer possible, even sexual things. I do not want them to feel ashamed or confused. I don't think it helps anyone.

If the school curriculum were equally appropriate, I would not have a problem with it. I used to teach school and my students began to talk about very gratuitous things amongst themselves by nine and ten years of age. I would like for them to get technical, educational information from an educated adult instead of another child.

I agree with Mom2Many. We do the same thing here. Some of my children attended my births and all of my children have watched birth video (I'm careful about what the boys see, though). They all know that there's sperm that comes from the man, and an egg that comes from the woman, and that the sperm fertilizes the egg to make a baby.

But they don't know "how" that happens and we give explanations that are age appropriate and as needed.

Truly, it's the parent's responsibility to educate their children in this area, not the school's and that's one reason why we chose to homeschool... we can educate our children best and we take that responsibility seriously.

Kate