What are the best home remedies for coughs and colds in children?

My daughters are suffering from coughs and colds for a week now. They've been through medications 2 weeks ago for the same problem however it recur again. I don't want to take them to the doctor yet because I want to try any natural home remedies to cure their coughs and colds. I don't want them to take antibiotics anymore since they've just been through with that. Any suggestions?

Hi Sheryl80,

Thank you for your post.

I agree that it's good to try and limit antibiotic use due to the side effects they can cause (e.g. upset tummies).

Here's a previous thread I thought you might find helpful about Natural Remedies for Colds and Coughs. It includes a recipe for making your own cough syrup as well as some tips like sitting in a steamy bathroom, making a vapour rub and eating chicken soup.

I hope your daughters get better quickly.

Best wishes,

LJ

Quote Originally Posted by ljmarsden View Post
    Hi Sheryl80,

Thank you for your post.

I agree that it's good to try and limit antibiotic use due to the side effects they can cause (e.g. upset tummies).

Here's a previous thread I thought you might find helpful about Natural Remedies for Colds and Coughs. It includes a recipe for making your own cough syrup as well as some tips like sitting in a steamy bathroom, making a vapour rub and eating chicken soup.

I hope your daughters get better quickly.

Best wishes,

LJ
    Hi Ms. LJ,
    Thanks for taking time to answer my post. It really helps me.
    All the best.

Sheryl

You're very welcome Sheryl!

Are your daughters feeling any better?

LJ

Hi Sheryl,

Most colds are viral, so antibiotics don't help anyway (which you just learned). It's good that you are choosing not to give antibiotics again because using antibiotics too often can render them less effective which means that when they really need the antibiotic, it may not work.

Something I do right away when my children show any signs of getting sick is I take them completely off of sugar (which depletes the immune system) and I increase their water intake. I also take them off of dairy products which increases mucus and can add to their "stuffiness".

I also have a colloidal silver generator which I use to make colloidal silver. I then place some of this liquid in a little juice and they drink it. It's helpful for killing viruses and bacteria.

Please post back and let us know how the girls are doing.

Warm regards,

Kate

You'll want to be sure the girls are getting plenty of good probiotics to help reestablish the good bacteria which keeps yeast in check.

Probiotics come in the form of acidophilus, bifidus, salivarious, and many other strains. Yoghurt has probiotics in it but you can also get them in capsule form. Just break a capsule into applesauce and mix it in.

Please post back and let us know how the girls are doing.

Warm regards,

Kate

Hi Ms. LJ,

Yes, my daughters are fine now. Thanks to your post. I really love this forum site because I'm really learning a lot.
    Again, thank you.

Warm regards,
    Sheryl

Quote Originally Posted by ljmarsden View Post
    You're very welcome Sheryl!

Are your daughters feeling any better?

LJ

Hi Ms. Kate,

My daughters are fine now. I'm giving them probiotic drinks and yogurt and they love it! Thank you for all your suggestions, surely I'll refer back to them when the same problem arises.

More power,

Sheryl

Hi Sheryl,

I'm so pleased your daughters are better. Glad you are enjoying the forum - it's great to have you as a member!

LJ

Great to hear that your little ones are doing better! Having a child who is ill can be so stressful. Best of luck to you mama!

-Angela

Hi Shery,
    To cure cough and colds drink more water than routine and watch your diet plan. Drink hot soup and use a humidifier to cure cough and cold. Blow nose more often, gargle and take steamy shower. Avoid caffeine, alcohol and smoking limit exercises and take rest.

Quote Originally Posted by Hary View Post
    Hi Shery,
    To cure cough and colds drink more water than routine and watch your diet plan. Drink hot soup and use a humidifier to cure cough and cold. Blow nose more often, gargle and take steamy shower. Avoid caffeine, alcohol and smoking limit exercises and take rest.
    caffeine when coughing is not good? so coffee should also be avoided?