Underweight Pregnancy

Hello,

My wife is now pregnant for the first time. She does not have any illness but she is really petite. She is 26 years old and just 35 kilos. Her doctor prescribed her to eat a little but often, like eating every 2 hours. She has good appetite but she gain weight a bit. On her 10weeks of pregnancy she is 32 kilos, now on her 18 weeks she is 35 kilos. Just this week, she feels not eating because she felt heavy in her tummy every time she eat and feels gas pain. When she do not want to eat heavy foods like rice and viand, she eats cereal bread, pasta, or soup and fruits and milk instead. Is it just okay? What are your suggestions for foods that she can eat when she does not feel like eating?
    Thanks for your help.

Shao

Hi Shao,

It is actually common for a woman to lose weight during her first trimester (12 weeks or so) because 80% of women have "morning sickness" (which was "all day sickness" for me). When you're feeling nauseous it's simply very hard to eat. Seems like so many foods can make a woman nauseous in those first few months of pregnancy. In fact, it is very common for women who are underweight to have a hard time getting pregnant. One reason for this is because the body knows it needs some fat reserves to support the first few months of pregnancy, when hormones are changing so rapidly (to support the pregnancy) and many women have a hard time eating.

It sounds like your wife is putting on weight now, which is a very good thing! I'm sorry that she is feeling "heavy" in her tummy and is having some gas pains. This can be so uncomfortable.

I do have some suggestions for foods she can eat that will help with her digestion (avoiding gas) and will also nourish her and the baby and help to put weight on.

Do you know her blood type? If so, please let me know what it is and I will give you some suggestions for foods that can be very healing for her body (and foods that can act like poisons, so she should avoid them).

If you don't know her blood type, let me know that too, and I'll give you some ideas to try until she can all her midwife or doctor to find out what it is. She has likely already had blood drawn (usually a complete blood count is done at 12 weeks, along with other blood tests like a blood type test) so the doctor's office or midwife should have it on file.

Warm regards,

Kate

Talking

Hi Kate,

Thanks for your response. Her blood type is "B". I will be waiting for your suggestions. Thank you very much.

Shao

Hi Shao,

Thank you for your prompt response in letting me know that your wife's blood type is "B". This is actually very good for her because you mentioned that one of her "go to" foods when she's not feeling particularly well, is milk. Type B is the only blood type that can enjoy a full array of dairy products without problems (*note, if your wife develops mucus (stuffiness in her nose, etc.) then she will want to back off).

And because we want her to put on weight, she may want to try eating even more dairy than just milk. Things like full fat cheese, cottage cheese, keefer, yogurt, half and half and even ice cream. It's best to limit sugar intake when pregnant, but in your wife's case, if the only sugar she is having is ice cream, having a bowl of ice cream each day would be a good way to have a treat plus get more calories.

2 of the biggest foods that cause digestion problems (i.e. gas) in type B's are corn and wheat. Type B people can 't handle gluten in wheat products so switching to a gluten free diet is beneficial. Unfortunately a main staple for people who need a gluten free diet is corn, and type B's don't do well on corn either.

So... an excellent alternative to wheat and corn would be oats and rice. Be sure they are gluten free oats, if you can. Oats, in and of themselves do not have gluten, however there are many fields of oats which are now grown close to fields of wheat, and this is causing a problem in that the oats are somehow ending up containing gluten. The good news is that "gluten free" is catching on in many countries and there are many companies that are labeling their oats as "gluten free" if they have been grown away from other gluten crops.

Type Bs tend to have a harder time with chicken, so I would encourage your wife to wean herself off of chicken and replace with highly beneficial meats like lamb, goat, mutton, rabbit and venison. There are other "neutral" meats she can use like turkey, liver and pheasant.

Deep-ocean fish and white fish are wonderful for Type B's. If your wife wants something bland, you could try a white colored fish (i.e. cod) that is poached in some salted water (or unsalted if her blood pressure is high). Just make sure she chooses fish that are lower in mercury content. Here are some good guidelines for eating fish during pregnancy.

Your wife NEEDS a lot of vegetables, and yet we know that it is harder to digest raw vegetables than cooked. So if she is struggling with digestion, she may want to start with being sure her vegetables are steamed or baked before eating. Making a vegetable soup and eating some each day will be highly nutritious for her and may be something that she likes.

The one vegetable that I would have her stay away from is tomatoes and tomato products like spaghetti sauce. Tomatoes contain a lectin that can irritate the stomach lining of Type B's.

Fruits, also, can be harder to digest when they are raw, however an excellent way to start the digestion process with fruits (other than steaming or poaching) is to make a green smoothie. You can do this by using any fruits which are beneficial for Bs, like pineapple, add in some neutral fruits like bananas and papaya and/or mango, and then add in a handful of leafy greens like kale, spinach or green leafy lettuce. Some people have a harder time with raw spinach in a smoothie, so you may want to reserve the spinach to be served steamed with some butter (again, trying to add in the full fat dairy) and use a different leafy green for the smoothies. Add water and blend together. I've been drinking 2-3 smoothies a day for the past few days and the children are enjoying them too. They are highly nutritious too. Oh - and I'd also throw in some flax oil into the smoothies so your wife gets some good essential fatty acids which is super important for her and baby right now.

In general, type Bs do well on most spices, however, one of the biggest problems for type Bs is pepper (which seems to be in so many things). She should also avoid gelatin (i.e. Jello), and, of course, no ketchup as this is a tomato based product.

In general, type Bs do not do well on most nuts (stay away from peanuts) though Almonds and almond butter are neutral.

One of the biggest benefits for a type B with digestive weaknesses is to use digestive enzymes. Pineapple contains Bromelain, Papaya contains Papain. Those are both digestive enzymes, so eating more pineapple and Papaya can be helpful. But what may help your wife more than that right now is to purchase a digestive enzyme that she can actually take with her meal. She can get one that has all food based enzymes or she can take one that has food based enzymes PLUS hydrochloric acid, which is what I take (my blood type is AB, so I have some "B" in me).

And an excellent book for any woman who is expecting or trying to conceive is Eat Right 4 Your Baby by Dr. Peter D'Adamo.

We have used the Blood Type Diet as a good working guide for our entire family, especially when I noticed digestive reactions to foods (i.e. my type A son would throw up after meals when he was little, and I realized that the culprit was an "avoid" food for Type A's, cow milk products.)

Hope this gives you some ideas on how your wife can feel better when eating and yet gain some weight as well. Dairy products, eggs, fish, lamb, oats, rice and lots of fruits and vegetables, along with a digestive enzyme taken at meal time should be very helpful. As your wife gets heavier with child, she may find that eating smaller meals throughout the day will sit better with her, simply because the weight of the baby (and other fluids) will be pushing on her stomach. But for now I'd say it's not so much baby weight which is causing the problems as it is hormonal changes and eating the wrong foods.

Please post back to let me know if you found any of this helpful or if you have any further questions.

Warm regards,

Kate