Hybrid View

Slow weaning from Breastfeeding

I'm a breastfeeding mom up to now and I'd like to ask how I could slowly wean my 1 year old baby from breastfeeding and start him on a bottle? He has a lot of teeth already and he bites whenever he breastfeeds. Until now I've been trying to get him to use his bottle but I've had no success on that.Thanks in advance.

Hi Jackie,

Thank you for your post. Well done on breastfeeding your son for 1 year and helping him to have so many (nutritional, emotional and developmental) benefits.

Is your baby biting you the only reason you want to wean him from breastfeeding? I ask because there are many benefits to breastfeeding (in terms of your sons long term health and social development) throughout the second year of life and beyond (as the current WHO guidelines state). Of course, it is absolutely your decision to make and, as I say, you have already given your son many of these benefits.

I too had problems breastfeeding my son when he started biting but I got some great breastfeeding tips and he no longer bites and we are still happily breastfeeding. It could be that he is teething, getting distracted or nearing the end of the feed.

If you do still want your son to swap from breastfeeding, then it is actually best (for his teeth) if he drinks from a cup. After 1 year of age dental professionals advice no plastic teats (including bottles and pacifiers if possible) to give the best for your baby. Many breastfed babies will not feed from a bottle anyway so you may find an open cup or a sippy toddler cup easier.

With best wishes,

LJ

Hi LJ,

Thanks for the great suggestion. I'm planning to do breastfeeding up until 2 years old if possible. The reason why I wanted to switch him to formula is because he is gaining weight slowly and i was thinking If i could get him to drink formula maybe he could also gain weight a lot faster. I can tolerate biting at times and can slowly reprimand my baby.

Best regards,
    Jackie

Hi Jackie,

If you can detect the underlying cause of the slow weight gain, then you should be able to help your son gain weight while continuing to breastfeed.

Up until 1 year of age, food is for fun. But at 1 year of age, food becomes a big part of baby's nourishment and breastfeeding starts to taper off.

LJ has some wonderful tips on how to get your child to eat more table food and we highly recommend Baby Led Weaning.

There are lots of posts in the forums on "Baby Led Weaning". Please post back and let us know if you get any good ideas on how to help your son gain weight faster.

If he is eating lots of crackers and cookies he's likely not getting the nutrients he needs. High quality protein like fish, eggs, chicken, turkey, goat, lamb and beef can help him put on weight, as can nut butters like peanut butter.

LJ may have some good suggestions as she is using this method with her toddler. I'm sure she'll post back soon.

All of my babies that I did baby led weaning with chose to wean between 2 1/2 and 3 years of age. I wouldn't have traded that extra bonding time for anything.

Warm regards,

Kate

Since your child is now one, I would add in healthy fats and increase food consumption if weight gain is an issue, rather than institute formula. As for the biting, a baby cannot bite when actively engaged in breastfeeding. I would have your latch evaluated by a lactation consultant or counselor.

Making it to one year is a fantastic achievement. If you truly want to wean, you will need to start slow and have someone else introduce the bottle for quite some time (dad, babysitter, grandparent, etc) It is unlikely that your little one will take a bottle from you during this time. Drop one feeding a day for a week, then another, and another, until you have ceased to breastfeed.

-Angela

Hi Jackie,

That's great that you want to breastfeed up to two years old but I can understand you being concerned about the weight gain- is this being monitored by a health visitor or similar? What weight percentile was your son born on and what weight percentile is he now?

I would follow Kate and Angela's suggestions and use the baby led weaning principles of giving your son a wide variety of food to try at each meal with plenty of snack options in between (e.g. steamed chicken, cheese, yoghurt, boiled cooled egg, fruit spread on wholemeal toast). Avocado is the only food which (pound for pound) has more calories than breast milk so try offering this often too. At one year old I still breastfed on demand to ensure my son was getting enough milk.

Please do let us know how you are getting on.

Best wishes,

LJ

Ahhh - yes, add in healthy fats/oils.

Your son may enjoy a soft puree of dates, coconut oil, almond flour and peanut butter. And definitely offer avocado every day if you can, as it is a healthy fat and should help him put on weight. You can mash it up if he likes it better that way, but he may just like picking it up with his fingers and "gumming" it. If it's a ripe avocado it should be easy for him to eat.

Kate

Hi Kate,

Your post made me think of a book I used to love as a child: Avocado Baby. It's about a baby who gains enormous strength from eating avocados...maybe there was more truth in that book than I realised at the time!

LJ

LJ,

What a fantastic little book! I have never heard of it before. Very poignant, avocado is such a great, healthy food choice!

-Angela