Hybrid View

Do I have Post partum depression or I am just used to bed rest?

Hi, I have been reading some of the posts in this thread and so I thought I'd also ask this thing that has been bothering me a lot lately. In my 8 years of marriage, I had three unsuccessful pregnancies: The first one was a tubal one that ruptured, so I had to undergo what my doctor said an ELap. It took me 7 months to get completely healed from the wound of that surgery. We found out I was diabetic when my wound refuse to dry up after a few months. The next year, I got pregnant again but it resulted in miscarriage at 20 weeks. That was the most difficult time in my life, losing my pregnancy not to mention the traumatic experience I had in the hands of the nurses in the hospital. I cried almost constantly for two whole months, until I started a blog where I poured out everything in my heart trying to get a closure. Then again, I had another miscarriage. Then last year, I conceived again and had to be on complete bed rest for 9 months until I gave birth to a 4kg baby boy. (By the way, my doctor prescribed bed rest for all my pregnancies.) During the first few days after we got home from the hospital, I started to feel really down, even worse than the way I felt when I lost my other pregnancy at 5-months. When I start feeling lousy, I would also start feeling guilty because I know that I should be very happy now that I have a son. But sometimes, I would catch myself being angry at my husband for no reason at all. For almost a year now, since my son's birth, I am lucky if I was able to get a 3-hour of sleep every night. I even resent having visitors to the point that I 'd pretend to be sleeping when people come to see me. I am still able to function in my job but I do not have the excitement to do my work anymore. So I guess my question is that am I undergoing some form of depression or did I just turn into a very lazy person? I keep thinking that if I take a break and reset my mind, maybe I'll be happy again. I mean I am happy with my family, but I just seem to lack the energy to show it.

Hi Xamismum,

You've been through a lot of stressful situations in the past 8 years, and now, with only getting about 3 hours of sleep at night, I'd say that your adrenal glands are not working as they should (they're tired) and without good adrenal function it's VERY hard to cope.

I discuss this in more depth in another thread called Post Partum After Almost 2 Years Since Giving Birth.

Once you take a look at that thread, post back and let me know if you think you may have that. We want to pinpoint what is causing the sadness, anger, and even the inability to sleep. Once we know what is causing it (it's a chemical imbalance within your body) then we will better know how to bring you back into balance so that you can enjoy your baby and your husband, and so that you can enjoy life more fully.

One thing I would suggest is that you try to find a vitamin supplement called Inositol. Inositol is part of the "B Vitamin" family and it is a natural mood enhancer. I take this and I give it to my children. It is water soluable, so what your body doesn't use will just be excreted in your urine. You can actually take very large quantities of this, and sometimes it's needed. But definitely try to find it because I think it will help you.

Post back with any questions or comments.

Warm regards,

Kate

It definitely sounds like a combination of situational and postpartum depression.

First of all, you need to get sleep. 3 hours a night is not going to cut it. You need to get sleep. If you can get someone to help with your son for a few nights so that you can get some sleep, then do that. If you are physically incapable of falling asleep, consider taking a supplement or getting a prescription. I would look into taking valerian or skullcap tincture if you are looking for something natural to help you sleep.

You may also want to consider consulting with a therapist if you have not already. You have been through a good deal of trauma and you need to talk through those events. I hope that you are able to feel better soon.

-Angela

Hi Angela, I appreciate your reply. Yes, I am unable to sleep no matter how I wanted so much to sleep. I tried a few things to get some sleep like self hypnosis but it doesn't work for me. My doctor gave me Valium in the past and I would be half-sleeping (my body would feel heavy and sleepy and I would close my eyes but my mind would still be busy thinking about everything and nothing, that is why when I get up, I am not refreshed at all). I shall try your suggestions. And yes, I have never been to a therapist. I'll try one when I can afford it. It's probably what I need.

Hi Kate,
    Thank you for your reply. I read all the posts in the other thread and with the symptoms that you've listed, I noticed that the only things listed there that I don't have are 15. Low blood pressure, 16. Sensitivity to cold, 18. Allergies, 19. Frequent flu, 27. Low Appetite (I have excessive hunger that is why I am overweight.) I will try my local pharmacy later this week to see if they are selling Inositol. Again, thank you very much for the info and advise.

Marj

Hi Xamismum,

I just wanted to add my support. My goodness, you have been through such a lot - I am very sorry to hear this.

I also wanted to add that postnatal depression is more common in women who have had difficulties conceiving. In many of these cases, a woman spends a long time longing to have a baby in her arms (and may sadly have some losses) and when the baby finally arrives they expect to feel ecstatic but the realities of caring for a newborn together with the mixed emotions she is feeling can lead to postnatal depression.

I agree with Angela - it could be very useful to see a therapist after the trauma and loss you have been through. Also, hypnotherapy guided by a professional could help you to relax deeply and sleep better.

How is your little one sleeping?

Thinking of you,

LJ

Hello all especially to Xamismum,

I too am going through the same phase but doing everything I can, with help from my doctor (and therapist at the same time) mother and husband, to overcome post partum. Although I am hoping that this type of depression would eventually get away soon, but I often realize that it is still "in" me. With the help of this forum, I did well. As mentioned, it was already a relief to know that I can now cope up with it not only because of the medication I take but because of the fact that I realize that I do have this type of depression, and then I teach myself to relax.

Hope you feel better.