Nutrition For Kids

I am seeking some advice on what to feed a 6 year old. Mine has almost sttopped eating everything!
    I am out of ideas for appetizing yet nutritious meal ideas. Help!

Smoothies tend to be a hit around our house. Add some cocoa, fruit, and agave or other sweetener to make it yummy but throw in a few well-disguised greens as well.

Also, you could try experimenting with the look of certain foods. One of my friends dyes pasta with pink and blue food coloring by putting a few drops in the boiling water. In the end it comes out looking like candy and her kids eat it because they think it is a treat.

Last, but not least, continue to offer sensible portions of healthy food at every meal. Do not provide substitution, especially unhealthy ones. Eventually she will accept that this is what she has to eat. Avoid sugary foods, caffeinated beverages, etc.

Best of luck!

Hi Mumof2wanting2more,

Please give me an idea of what your daughter eats and drinks - what she likes.

Can you give me any idea as to what you think may be the cause of her not wanting to eat? Is she eating lots of cookies, crackers or sweets? These things can give the body a false sense of being "full", without offering the body the nutrients that it needs to stay healthy.

Does she get sick often? (i.e. colds, flu, etc.) Is she a happy, easy going child, or does she tend to be more "grumpy"?

The smoothies that Mom2Many suggested are often a big hit with children. I can give you some recipe ideas for those, but mostly I'd like to know what your daughter used to eat, that she liked, and if there's anything she still eats that she likes.

Post back and I'll give you some ideas to help your daughter start eating better (which, I'm sure, will reduce your stress).

Warm regards,

Kate

Hi Mumof2wanting2more,
    You can get nutritious meal ideas from internet as there are lots of sites available for kids nutritious meal on internet so just spend some time on internet and Google nutritious meals for kids. If possible consult dietitian to do engage your kid in regular physical activities as it will boost his metabolism.

Hi,

I am just following up on this post as I know the eating habits of young children can become a worry for some parents.

Most young children do go through phases of 'fussy eating'. For the majority of children, this passes and they start eating a greater variety of food again. Dr. Sears (the well-known attachment parenting paediatrician) advises parents to try a 'grazing plate'. This is a plate with a variety of small portions of food (such as grapes, dates, mini sandwiches, steamed chicken etc) that you allow your child to 'graze from'. It is best left at a lowered child's table so they can easily come and eat from the plate and go as they please. The idea behind this is that sometimes children have so much they want to do and play with they find it boring to sit at the table for what seems like long periods of time. Also, because children tend to be on the go all day, more frequent smaller meals can meet their dietary needs better.

I would continue to offer a variety of food to your child even if it seems that they are leaving the majority of the food. The fussy eating will pass and, if lots of different interesting foods are offered, your child will eventually begin to eat more. As long as a child is well and happy otherwise the fussy eating is likely to gradually become balanced and healthy eating.

Another good tip is to offer food that releases energy slowly, such as porridge, quinoa, sweet potatoes etc - if your child eats some of these they will be able to keep going through the day as the energy is gradually released to their body.

Finally, I (like many parents and health professionals) believe in gentle parenting. So I would try not to give meal-times emotional significance for your child and label certain foods as 'good' or 'bad' (or praise your child when they eat certain foods). I would advise keeping it neutral, following your child's lead (whilst continuing to offer a wide variety of healthy food) and making meal-times a fun and happy family time.

If anyone else is finding meal-times difficult then please post back and we will offer some more food ideas to support you.

Best wishes,

LJ
    Last edited by ljmarsden; 18th June 2013 at 08:18 PM.

I agree MarkHerry.

It is important that children get enough Calcium in their diet due to their growing bones. Milk is obviously as excellent source of Calcium but, if you child does not enjoy drinking milk, you could try making milky porridge or offering them yoghurts. Cheese is another good source of Calcium but you do have to be careful of the salt content here. In terms of vegetables and fruit - as many as possible (for you and your kids!)

LJ