Hybrid View

Voice Recognition

My son cannot recognize my voice quickly but he responds immediately to his father, uncle and grandmother? I might not be with him always but I'm pretty sure that I spend more time with him than my husband and his uncles. Especially when he was newly born, I took care of him by myself for about 4 months. So, why?

Can you give two examples of situations that make you think he's not recognizing your voice?

Do you read him a book every day?

Please post back and I'll give more insight on how to be sure your son recognizes your voice and responds right away.

Warm regards,

Kate

Quote Originally Posted by jaedris View Post
    My son cannot recognize my voice quickly but he responds immediately to his father, uncle and grandmother? I might not be with him always but I'm pretty sure that I spend more time with him than my husband and his uncles. Especially when he was newly born, I took care of him by myself for about 4 months. So, why?
    Spend some more time with him so he can recognize your voice and responds to you.As parenting is the pedagogic way of behaving with children.

Hi Jaedris,

From your posts, I'm sure you should not feel bad about this. You may just be more aware when your son recognises other people's voices.

I also think it's important to ask (as an Audiologist) if you have any concerns about your son's hearing? Does he still respond to your voice, if not all the time? The reason I ask this is that everyone's voice is of a different frequency and women's voices are of a higher frequency (higher pitched) than men's voices. If you felt he was not responding as well to high pitched voices/sounds compared to low pitched then it would be important for you to see your doctor to have him referred for a hearing test. Hearing tests can now be performed even on newborn babies.

However, most likely it is just that your son responds differently to different people, particularly if there is someone new who comes into the room or something interesting to see etc

Please do post back and and answer mine and Kate's questions so we can help to support you further with this.

Best wishes,

LJ
    Last edited by ljmarsden; 8th August 2012 at 06:01 AM.