Can I have VBAC this time?

Hi, mums! I just have a question about getting pregnant and giving birth again. After giving birth via C-Section four years ago due to my baby's size which cannot be via normal delivery, is there any possibility that I could get VBAC (vaginal birth after Cesarean) and what are the conditions to be considered for me to qualify for VBAC? Hope to hear from you mums very soon!

More likely than not, a VBAC is an excellent and perfectly acceptable choice for you this time around. The important thing is to find a supportive caregiver. Tiny women are capable of birthing huge babies. Most c-sections for size are unnecessary. There is a very good chance that with the right OB or midwife you can deliver vaginally this time around.

For more in depth information about the risks and benefits of VBAC, visit this page on vaginal birth after caesarean.

I was thinking of having a second opinion from another OB or midwife if ever mine says a c-section is to be done on my again. I really want to experience normal delivery ever since. Thank you so much for your answer and reply.

I'd have to say that the caregiver you provide will have a 90% influence on whether you end up with another C-Section or not, and only 10% will depend upon your presenting condition. This means that you need to be proactive NOW in finding a caregiver that will support VBAC for you.

You'll want to find someone who is known for having a very low C-Section rate. Midwives usually have the lowest C-Section transfer rate (I haven't found a doctor who has a lower C-Section rate than a midwife yet).

Some doctors have a 35% C-Section Rate (that's crazy) and some have a 15% C-Section Rate. The ones who have a 15% rate are the ones who work with a woman longer, suggesting different positions to help labour progress, and for birth. The ones with the higher C-Section rates are usually the ones who have money and time as their main focus (not mother and baby). They know they make more money performing surgery, and if they have a golf game scheduled, and there's a mum who isn't progressing fast enough (going to make them miss their game) they will often times just move forward with the C-Section and give reasons like (slow progression, baby too big, etc.).

Having a doulla with you can reduce your chance of C-Section too, but ultimately the main care provider you choose (doctor or midwife) will have the biggest influence on that decision.

I wish you all the best in your quest for a natural birth this time around. Please post back and let us know how this journey goes for you.

Warm regards,

Kate

Hi, Kate! I think the same, too, about how doctors who "insist" a c-section. I better start asking around for doctors with low rate on performing c-section... or better yet, a midwife! Thank you so much for this answer and hoping me the best! I'll sure do keep you updated any time from now.

Hi lil_momma,

I just wanted to support the comments above. How big was your first baby? As mom2many says, most c-sections carried out due to the size of the baby are unnecessary.

At my local birthing services I am able to access statistics which tell how how many c-sections were carried out by particularly care providers, what percentage of women used what pain relief etc. If you can access such statistics, it can help you decide which care provider to use. I agree that midwife-led care leads to less medical interventions. The same is also true for using Active Birthing and having a doula to help you (c-section rates are significantly lower for women who have a doula). For you, I think you will need a supportive care giver from the start and then you can add to this active birthing and the help of a doula to support you through what I hope will be a wonderfully natural birth for you and your baby.

Best wishes,

LJ