Hybrid View

Sleeping position

Hi! Is there any suggested sleeping position for pregnant mums that would not affect blood circulation for the baby? (Aside from NOT lying on your tummy, of course.) Because I know being pregnant means having to consider sleeping positions when sleeping. Thanks!

Hello lil momma!

Sleeping on your left side during pregnancy is said to benefit the baby by improving blood circulation. Of course, getting sleep is important to, and you shouldn't feel too bad if side sleeping just doesn't work for you, especially early in pregnancy when it is less likely to be a problem.

For more about sleeping comfortably during pregnancy, read this older thread on sleeping comfortably whilst pregnant. =)

Thank you for the sharing an answer and a helpful link! I'll keep the info in mind.

Hi lil_momma,

This is an interesting topic - thank you for posting it.

As mom2many says, sleeping on your left side is preferable as it increases the blood flow to the placenta; this means that the nutrients going to the placenta are also increased. It's actually sleeping on your back which is the worse position to sleep in when you are pregnant as the uterus pushes down on the spine and can reduce the blood flow to the baby. Laying on your back can also make some mums-to-be dizzy.

I hope this helps,

Best wishes,

LJ

For many mums, it's all about finding that comfortable sleeping position that makes it possible to get some uninterrupted sleep later in pregnancy. Here's a great videos that shows an idea on just how to do this.

I'm a tummy sleeper and have been my whole life. I'm very early pregnant and so very worried I'm putting to much pressure on my stomach while sleeping on it. I am overweight which adds to my concern. I am trying to sleep on my side and luckily for me my left side is my second option. Can I be doing any harm sleeping on my stomach? I've had previous miscarriages and so desperately don't want another.

Hi wanting2beamummy,

Congratulations on your pregnancy! I didn't realise from your other post that you were already pregnant. That is good news.

I'm so sorry to hear about your previous miscarriages. Most miscarriages unfortunately would just always have happened; they are not caused by anything that you did or did not do. I know this doesn't take away the grief that you feel.

Sleeping on your stomach should be fine at this stage of pregnancy. The embryo is well protected from normal daily life. However, you may want to try and start sleeping on your left side to help get used to this for when your bump gets bigger. You can get pregnancy support pillows to make you more comfortable in bed.

Warm wishes,
    LJ
    Last edited by ljmarsden; 13th November 2013 at 06:29 AM.

Thanks for that information, I probably deep down knew the answer but hormones play havoc with brain function. If I'm pregnant it's very very early and the way I've been feeling the past few days gives very mixed messages so we are still very insure if it's taken.

You are welcome.

How many weeks do you think you may be? Have you had a positive pregnancy test? How have you been feeling over the past few days?

Thinking of you,
    LJ