Hybrid View

Red face Best month for ultrasound

Hi, I would like to ask what month during pregnancy should be the best time to have an ultrasound for me to best possibly know the gender of my baby? We are quite excited and dont want to ruin everything when the baby doesnt want to cooperate Hope you can enlighten me..
    Last edited by melisse30; 5th August 2012 at 06:23 AM.

Generally the best time is between around 20-27 weeks. Before 20 weeks it can be difficult to get a good image because the baby is tiny and moving about a lot. After the third trimester starts, the baby could quickly become too big to get a good gender prediction. Remember, ultrasound gender prediction is not guaranteed to be accurate! You may still end up with a surprise, even with a clear shot

Quote Originally Posted by mom2many View Post
    Generally the best time is between around 20-27 weeks. Before 20 weeks it can be difficult to get a good image because the baby is tiny and moving about a lot. After the third trimester starts, the baby could quickly become too big to get a good gender prediction. Remember, ultrasound gender prediction is not guaranteed to be accurate! You may still end up with a surprise, even with a clear shot
    Hi mom2many,
    Thanks for taking time to answer my query. Ill surely keep that in mind on my next check up. Im so excited to know the gender of my baby

I had an ultrasound at 19 weeks with my 5th baby and they told me she was a girl... and she was a girl when she was born.

I also had an ultrasound at 19 weeks with my 4th baby and they asked if I wanted to know the gender, but my husband was adamant that he did not want to know, so I didn't find out.

I have a neighbor who's daughter was told she was having a boy, and she had a girl.

So my experience is that sometimes they are wrong but most times they are right.

Here are a couple of videos that show gender ultrasounds at 16 weeks and 18 weeks.

18 weeks:

16 weeks 4 days (fast forward to about 16 minutes to see where they indicate the gender)

Quote Originally Posted by 5Homebirths4Kate View Post
    I had an ultrasound at 19 weeks with my 5th baby and they told me she was a girl... and she was a girl when she was born.

I also had an ultrasound at 19 weeks with my 4th baby and they asked if I wanted to know the gender, but my husband was adamant that he did not want to know, so I didn't find out.

I have a neighbor who's daughter was told she was having a boy, and she had a girl.

So my experience is that sometimes they are wrong but most times they are right.

Here are a couple of videos that show gender ultrasounds at 16 weeks and 18 weeks.

18 weeks:

16 weeks 4 days (fast forward to about 16 minutes to see where they indicate the gender)
    Hi 5Homebirths4Kate,

Thanks for the very informative reply on my query
    I love the additional clippings(video) youve included. Im so happy and very excited to have the ultrasound maybe next month. On my last check up, my doctor gave me a go signal to have an ultrasound anytime this month. Im still thinking of it though

Ill try to share my experience when that time comes.

How exciting melisse30!

With my first baby, we wanted a surprise so did not find out the sex (although I did think I was having a boy). With this baby, myself and my husband just really wanted to know the sex of the baby - so we did find out! We are trying to keep it a secret though!

Most ultrasound scans where the gender of the baby can be found out are carried out at around 20 weeks. Most sources put the accuracy of a gender scan at this time at over 90%. Although, I have met mums who were told the opposite gender for their baby! This article explains about the accuracy of looking at the gender on a 20 week ultrasound scan.

Best wishes,

LJ