Hybrid View

Time Management while pregnant

This might not be a problem for you guys but Im having a hard time dividing my time. Im a working mum by daytime and Ive been struggling to juggle being pregnant and a mum to my 6yr old daughter and the chores that I usually dont finish on time because I feel so tired to start it or when I was about to feel like doing it I tend to fell asleep . Any suggestions on how to manage my time? I feel so hopeless
    Last edited by melisse30; 5th August 2012 at 06:24 AM.

How far along are you? Have you had your iron checked?

During pregnancy you need more rest. If you are falling asleep, that is probably exactly what you need to be doing! Does your husband help out any around the house? What about your daughter? She is old enough to do simple chores like cleaning her own room, putting her dishes in the sink, making her bed, feeding the pets with a reminder, etc.

I have four children and three jobs, so I know a little bit about time management- lol. One thing that I find helps me is making to do lists and schedules and sticking to them. You need to make a plan for each day, however if you don't meet all your goals, don't beat yourself up about it. You are already doing the most important job of all - growing a life - and it is HARD work for your body!

Hi mom2many, im 20wks and I havent had my iron checked. Is it required?

My husband works overseas so, I am left with our daughter. Shes turning 7 this november. She know some minor chores such as cleaning her mess after playing and vacuuming etc. Thanks for giving me an idea to plan things for each day and stick to it Ill try my very best to do it..

Youre such a super woman dear, for handling 4 kids and 3 jobs, im at awe! hope I have that ability too

We just had a really good discussion about how to juggle time management and parenting. You may want to read through that thread here.

You learn some tips for managing your time in that thread, but to address the tiredness I would encourage you to focus on your diet and on stress management.

For stress management, this means taking time for you throughout the day. Some ideas would be:

- Every hour, lay down on the couch for 5 minutes, close your eyes and do some slow, deep breathing, thinking about bringing oxygen into your body for your baby. If your 6 year old is with you, you can have her lay down on the floor, next to you, and look at a book for 5 minutes. You will teach her how to relax and be still, which is really important. She may just want to pattern after you, by closing her eyes, and patterning her breathing after yours. I know my children would enjoy this.

- Take a walk around the block (which will force you to mentally disconnect from work and chores)

- Lay down for a 20 minute power nap after lunch. I did this a lot when I was working and pregnant, and it made a huge difference in my energy levels in the afternoon.

For diet, I would suggest that you reduce stimulants like caffeinated coffee, caffeinated sodas, etc. Reduce sugar and processed foods (no crackers, cookies, muffins, cakes, etc.) and really focus on getting more leafy greens in your diet.

One helpful way to do this is to create a green smoothie that's packed full of good nutrients for pregnancy.

Here's a video which shows a pregnant mum preparing a pregnancy smoothie. You'll see all the good things she puts into that smoothie and I think she talks about how much energy it gives her.

hi 5Homebirths4Kate, Thank you for that awesome advice. I will try to do that and I know it will definitely improve my day to day activity. Thats exactly what I need, to de-stress

Ill try that smoothie too!

Hi melisse30,

I just wanted to add that I can emphasise with you as I have been feeling more tired now I'm in the third trimester. I'm not exhausted and my iron levels were fine at the last check, but it can be hard work being a mum, working and growing a new baby all at once! I have started to have a nap in the daytime on the days which I feel most tired. Also, on these days, I cook something for dinner which is easier to prepare. I have been getting a local veg box delivered once a week so I do not need to go to the shops as often. Eating lots of fresh veg has also given me more energy!

Are you sleeping well at night-time?

Best wishes,

LJ

Ahhhh...yes... the mid day nap! I worked full time up until 3 weeks before my first baby was born, and I remember having an hour lunch where I ate, and then took a 20 minute nap. That 20 minute nap was my power nap to get through the rest of the day, and it felt SO good.

Rest is very important.

Kate

Hi everyone, sorry if it took me awhile in responding, anyway Im glad to be back

hi ljmarsden, thanks for responding back to tell you honestly, I dont know why I cant sleep well at night, I usually get up and feel hungry. Though its my second pregnancy but my previous one was just so easy. Because when I had my first child I wasnt working yet, so I have all the time. If I feel like sleeping I can do it at my means, but now that Im working it seems like world is unorganized :'(.

I know ill get through this, as what the others are saying, Its a matter of time management.

Hi Melisse30,

It's good to see you again.

I'd suggest eating a protein rich snack before bed. This could be an egg, some nut butter spread on whole grain crackers, a palm full of nuts, or even some meat or cheese. The protein "sticks to your ribs" and helps you feel full throughout the night. It could also help you to stay asleep at night.

I'd also suggest that you try to get to bed by 9PM at night. No TV after dinner, no TV or noise in your bedroom, and make the room as dark and as quiet as possible. If you do watch TV after dinner, avoid the news and avoid programs or videos that make you tense. You want to relax in the evening so that when 9PM rolls around you'll be able to fall asleep quickly.

Warm regards,

Kate