Hybrid View

Administrator

Vaccines and autism

Did you read the article on Vaccination in the Sydney Morning Herald called "Vaccination's vexed link to autism" by Marj Lefroy? A really well written article looking at the potential link between vaccination and autism. At today's Pregnancy and Parenting Network one of the group members recommended this article. Let me know what you think of this article.
    Hidden Content aussiemidwife
    Moderator Pregnancy, Birth and Beyond
    Hidden Content

I really like this article. I think it is one of the least biased I have read on this subject. I have always had such a hard time with vaccines. I have two autistic nephews. I do believe that vaccines are the environmental push that some children need to develop certain disorders.

It is a known fact that there are vaccine injuries, however I do not think this is discussed enough with parents, as many do not have any idea that vaccines can be dangerous. Furthermore, there is so much more to be concerned with than just autism.

hello there! this is also my question, is it true that the MMR (measles, mumps and rubella) vaccine can lead to autism when given to infants?

My daughter will have her shot soon so I'm really worried about this. Is there really a medical explanation for this?
    "Those who don't believe in love at first sight have not given birth." ♥ Hidden Content

Hi Kaydetbride,

All vaccines carry risks. You need to do your research on each individual vaccine (measles, mups and rubella, and any other vaccines you are considering giving your child). Giving a child vaccines is the parent's choice, not the doctors. Doctors may push for them, but you have to give consent so you are ultimately responsible for learning about them and making the decision as to which vaccines you give, and when you give them.

Here are a couple of good threads that discuss this:

How to make an informed decision on vaccination

When you should vaccinate your child

And take a look at the National Vaccine Informaiton Center which has a lot of really good informaiton.

There's also a good book called The Parent's Concise Guide to Childhood Vaccinations with lots of helpful information.

You are to be commended for looking into this now, before you give your child the MMR vaccine.

Warm regards,

Kate