Concern on Introducing semi-solid food for baby having cleft palate

My son who is 5 month old is born with Cleft lip and Cleft palate. Now his first surgery for Cleft lip is over. I guess its time to start feed him with semi-solid food, but i'm very concern about palate. Advise me how to take care of this & what find of food should I provide to him?

Hello ibrualfi,

There's a wonderful book called Baby Led Weaning and we have been discussing it to great extent on these forums. Here's a great thread on Baby Led Weaning that you may want to read through.

Here's a video of a 5 1/2 month old baby who is starting their first week on solids. Usually this isn't started until 6 months, and some babies don't start on solids until 8 months or a year. Often it depends upon how eager mum is to get them started, not on how much nutrition bub needs from the food.

I like this video because it shows 2 really great "first" foods - banana and avocado. But you'll see this baby preferred the strawberry.

With the Baby Led Weaning, food is for fun until they one. This means you are introducing new tastes and textures but their main nutrition continues to come from breast milk or formula.

Is your son breastfeeding, bottle feeding or feeding in a different way? We're happy to give you suggestions as you start to make this transition.

Warm regards,

Kate

Hi,

There is some information here on starting to wean a baby who has a cleft lip and cleft palate. This source says that finger foods (like the type in baby led weaning which Kate talks about above) are ok for babies who have a cleft palate. However, there are some additional factors for you to be aware of e.g. some foods (such as citrus and tomatoes) can irritate the nasal passages. Because of these extra issues, I would also have a chat with your health visitor/doctor if you can.

Best wishes,

LJ

Thanks for that additional information, LJ. Very helpful!

Kate

Thanks Kate and LJ,

LJ, article was very informative. Many information make to my notice by reading that.

Yesterday I fed him with Cereal, as said in the article he sneezed but no worries, later he got used & he even really liked cereal. As of now my son is drinking water/milk through feeding bottle but I'm planning to introduce cup with spout to him may after he getting used to semi- solid foods.

Kate my son is fed through feeding bottle.

Thanks
    Alfanan

Hi Alfanan,

I'm so glad that article was helpful for you and that your son enjoyed the cereal. As Kate says, usually health professionals advise waiting until 6 months to begin weaning so you could take it slowly until then.

You could also try introducing an open cup at meal times instead of a bottle, and help your son to drink through this. But it is fine for your son to be drinking from a bottle for up at 12 months of age. After this it is better if he switches to an open cup or a sippy cup because of teeth development.

Best wishes,

LJ