Thread: Breast feeding

Breast feeding

Hi, I have a 2 month old baby boy and I have been breastfeeding him since he came out last June. I am getting back to work for the next 2 weeks and I wonder if it would be okay to mix his feedings?

Hi Fran,

Congratulations on your new baby!

Are you are asking if it would be okay to offer formula at some feedings and breastmilk at other feedings?

If this is your question, then I'd have to say it's a personal decision that you need to make. Once you offer him a bottle nipple, you could find that he prefers the bottle and refuses the breast. I'm hoping this won't happen, as he may continue to breastfeed at night and on the weekends, when you are home with him, but it could happen.

It is always best for baby to take as much breast milk as possible, but if you can't pump enough for him to only take breast milk, then you will need to offer formula. You may find that he gets constipated on the formula though, so just keep a look out for that.

Please post back and let me know if that answered your question or if you have more questions. I'm not sure if I understood your question correctly.

Warm regards,

Kate

Yes, you did. I understand the importance of breast feeding to infants. Thank you so much.

Please feel free to post back anytime you have questions. As your son grows and as your breastfeeding relationship changes, you may have more questions.

Warm regards,

Kate

Congratulations fmadrigal for making a choice to breastfeed your baby for some woman don't consider it for the sake of beauty interest but you did a great job of doing what is right. One thing to learn about breastfeeding is that babies are less sickly compared to bottle feed and in fact there is a slogan nowadays saying: "Breastfeed is for babies, cows milk is for cow."