Irregular Menstrual Cycle After Giving Birth

After giving birth to my second child 18 months ago, my monthly menstrual cycle becomes a bit longer and irregular. I used to follow a 28-30 day regular menstrual cycle but now it would range for about 28-42 day gap.

Would there be some health problems related to this menstrual change that I have been experiencing? Am I more susceptible to conceive again?

Cycles can fluctuate when you're breastfeeding, even if you're breastfeeding an 18 month old. However, the 42 day length would cause me to wonder if your hormones may need to be balanced.

You may want to have your thyroid levels checked (TSH) and you may also want to rule out PCOS. You can take an online PCOS test to see how likely it is that you have PCOS or not.

I would highly recommend that you make sure you're only eating a little sugar (if any) and limit your fruits. Then increase your vegetable and high quality protein intake while reducing simple carbs like white flour, white rice, pasta, muffins, pancakes, bread, etc.

If you reduce the sugars and the simple carbs, your body will be able to produce the needed hormones in proper balance better, and you should see your cycles become more regular.

Please post back with any questions.

Warm regards,

Kate

Hi Kate,

Your post was indeed informative. Honestly, I have no idea what PCOS is all about. After reading your response, I got scared to learn more about it. Also, you're right about my sugar intake, lately I must confess that I like eating sweets a lot.

I'll read the site you've shared and I'll ask more questions after.

Thanks.

Sincerely,
    mumjane

Hi MumJane,

I'd encourage you to reduce your sugar and simple carbohydrate intake and be sure you're getting enough essential fatty acids (fish is a good source). Be sure you are exercising regularly too - that's really important. If you do these things along with being sure you're getting plenty of fresh green vegetables, it should help your cycles to become more regular.

You'll also want to learn how to watch your body's signs of fertility so that you can get a good sense of when you're fertile and when you're not. This will help you to conceive faster once you're ready.

Warm regards,

Kate

Hi Kate,

Again, thanks for the advices.

Regards,
    mumjane

You're welcome - please post back and let us know if you make any changes and how it's going.

Warm Regards,

Kate