Breast feeding the second kid

Hi, I am Ann, aged 42, Mum to a 12 year old son.

I used to Breast feed my first son till the age of 2-3 years. Now I am planning to get conceived second time. How can I increase or sustain long Breast feeding without affecting my health? I am little worried now as I am aged and working now whereas I was not employed at the time of my first son's birth.

Thanks in advance.
    Ann.
    Last edited by anntom; 12th August 2012 at 02:56 PM.

Hi Ann,

One of the best ways to sustain your health while breastfeeding is to be sure you are getting the proper nutrition. Taking a high quality prenatal supplement can help with this, and reducing or eliminating sugar can also be very helpful.

You'll want to be sure that you are eating plenty of fresh fruits and vegetables, aiming to eat a full head of green leafy lettuce or kale every day. Taking cod liver oil will help to give you the essential fatty acids you need too.

Start with good preconception care and carry that through your breastfeeding years. That should definitely give you the support to your health that you need.

Here's an easy way to get fresh fruits and leafy greens into your diet. It's called a green smoothie. The fruits really make it so that you hardly notice the "greens" at all, yet you'll be getting a lot of good chlorophyll and other nutrients by adding the greens into the smoothie.

This is just one kind of green smoothie. Use ingredients that you like the taste of. My favorite is Banana, Orange, Pineapple with some kind of green (i.e. kale, romaine lettuce, spinach, etc.).

Kate gave you some great advice. I also wanted to mention that breastfeeding is great for both your health and the health of your little one. Studies have shown that long-term breastfeeding helps to reduce the odds of developing breast cancer. Breastfeeding also helps mothers to lose their postpartum weight faster than those who artificially feed.

Best Wishes,
    Angela

Super comments from Angela and Kate above!

I don't think that your age should stop you from a long and happy breastfeeding journey with your next baby. As long as you eat a healthy, balanced diet (following Kate's advice above) and get enough rest your body will be able to produce the milk you need for your baby.

Do you know how long you are planning on going on maternity leave once you have your baby? You can express your milk when you go back to work - and your work place must also legally supply you with a suitable room to do this in (with suitable breaks) and somewhere to store the milk. You could start to build up a supply of expressed milk before you go back to work (it can be stored in the freezer for 6 months).

You may also find that following a gentle parenting style with your baby (breastfeeding on demand, co-sleeping and baby wearing) helps you to feel rested and, importantly, help you to bond with your beautiful baby.

I hope this helpful for you,

Best wishes,

LJ