Hybrid View

Breach Pregnancy

Hi,

When I was 29wks pregnant, I was advised to have an ultrasound so they can see the position of the baby. Also for them to see if it is positioned for Normal or a possible ceasarian section. So, the one who does the ultrasound told me that it is on breach position. My obstetrician said that there are still chances for the baby to turn, so we will just have the ultrasound repeated in my 36th week. I am really worrying about it, and I would like to know if there are really chances that the baby would turn at this stage? Also, what can I do to maybe help him turn?

Thanks.

Cristina

Hello Cristina,

Many, many babies are still breech at 29 weeks but make the transition to head-down closer to the mum's due date. Your experience is not at all unusual. There are many things you can do to help encourage the baby to get in a better position.

You may also consult with your doctor about the possibility of an external version, if all else fails. However, there are risks associated with the procedure, and many other processes are preferred as a first course of action.

I recommend you check out Spinning Babies, for some information about certain positions and exercises that can help to turn the baby.

I would also check out the following sources from this very website, which discuss techniques that can help baby to turn:

Moxibustion for Breech Presentation

Breech Presentation and the Webster Technique

Breech Babies: Breech Birth

Hi Cristina,

I'm checking in to see if baby ended up being breach or if he/she turned? How are you doing?

Warm Regards,

Kate

The baby will often assume its position because of the shape of the space its in. Osteopathic treatment often helps, especially if there are mechanical problems with the womans pelvis, diaphragm or abdominal wall. I have found this can be very succesful.
    Your obstetrician may perform a turning procedure but this really needs to be done in hospital.
    Many times the baby turns by itself at the 12th hour!

Good luck.

www.buderimosteopath.com.au