low appetite during pregnancy

I am pregnant and Iíve noticed that most of the time I donít have appetite. I would usually eat a certain type of food and eventually throw up if I feel nauseated. I do take iron and folic supplements that my Paediatrician prescribed, but is it enough? Im scared that im depriving my unborn baby of the nutrients he/she needs. What can I do?

How far along are you iyah? There were periods of time during each of my pregnancies where I had a low appetite. Eating frequent, small meals during pregnancy is recommended for a number of reasons. For one, your stomach becomes very compressed with baby and uterus later in pregnancy, making it difficult to comfortably eat much at a time.

Also, how often are you vomiting?

thanks for the response mom2many. im on my 16th week ( 4 months) and i've noticed that vomiting has decreased since last week. hope it will fade away soon. i don't drink much milk either, i guess i had milk fatigue when i was little but i try to whenever i feel like it. i fear baby would be malnourished...

Hi iyah,

Just checking in to see how you are doing now. Has your appetite increased? My guess is that when you were in your 4th month you were still experiencing nausea and morning sickness. I had that for 5 months with my first pregnancy and then I was so happy when it finally subsided and I could eat well.

Be sure you're eating really healthy foods like fresh fruits and vegetables, high qualtiy protein like eggs, meat, chicken, turkey, nuts and legumes/beans and be sure you're avoiding sweets and white flour products.

Drinking green smoothies can really help you to get the deep green leafy vegetables that your baby needs and they taste great!

Try putting some water in a blender, add bananas (fresh or frozen) and any other frozen or fresh fruit you want, along with a handful or two of spinach or kale or other greens. Blend until smooth and enjoy! Children love this too.

Please let me know how you're doing.

Warm Regards,

Kate

I am sure your baby is just fine, it sounds like you are reaching the tale end of morning sickness, so you should notice some pickup in your appetite soon. Just remember, small meals are better, you are probably going to get full much faster than you would if you were not pregnant.

Also second Kate's smoothie suggestion, I love smoothies, such an easy tasty way to slip in some extra nutrition!

I hope you are feeling better, would love to hear an update.

hello there ladies,

I've gained my appetite back and I'm on my third trimester. I only gained 5.5 lbs from the start of my pregnancy till now. I eat a lot, but on small portions only...just like what you've suggested. Thanks for checking on me...

Hi iyahu80,

It sounds like you're right on track. It's actually common for women to lose weight in the first trimester. This is one reason why the body won't allow pregnancy to happen if the mother is underweight by more than just a few pounds.

Glad you are feeling better!

Warm Regards,

Kate