Unhappy bad cough and fever during pregnancy

I had a bad cough and fever about a week ago. My paediatrician prescribed a paracetamol for my fever and asked me to just take lemonade for my cough. Eventually I got well but I fear that my illness would have an effect with my baby. I need an expert opinion on this.

Odds are that your baby will be completely fine. I don't know if I necessarily count as an expert, but I do have four beautiful children. I am pretty sure I went through a cold or flu with each of my pregnancies and they all turned out perfectly fine and healthy.

At this point, I would not worry about it. It is very likely that the baby is fine and there is really nothing you can do to take back having been sick. Nor is there anything you can do to absolutely prevent sickness from occurring.

In the meantime, taking prenatal vitamins, maintaining a healthy diet with plenty of vitamin C, and frequent hand washing with warm, antibacterial soap can help to prevent future illness from occurring.

-Angela

thanks for the feedback Angela. im glad to hear your children turned out to be perfectly fine, i trust that mine will do as well.

One of the benefits of breastfeeding is that when you have a fever or illness, you will actually give your baby an immunity boost by breastfeeding even while you are sick.

There may be some diseases where the doctor would not want you to breastfeed, but for the common cold, cough or flu, I've breastfed many times and my little ones didn't get sick.

Warm regards,

Kate

thanks Kate!

Hi iyah80,

I just wanted to reassure you, as the ladies have above, that generally having a cough or even the flu during pregnancy will not cause harm to your baby.

In fact, some women find they suffer with coughs and cold more during pregnancy. This is because a woman's immune system changes during pregnancy because her body is protecting the baby. This is why it's particularly important, if you are suffering with a cough, to:

-get as much rest as you can
    -drink plenty of fluids
    -eat a balanced diet
    -exercise (appropriately)

If the cough lasts for more than a few days or you experience difficulties breathing then you should see your doctor.

I hope you are feeling better now.

Best wishes,

LJ

Quote Originally Posted by ljmarsden View Post
    Hi iyah80,

I just wanted to reassure you, as the ladies have above, that generally having a cough or even the flu during pregnancy will not cause harm to your baby.

In fact, some women find they suffer with coughs and cold more during pregnancy. This is because a woman's immune system changes during pregnancy because her body is protecting the baby. This is why it's particularly important, if you are suffering with a cough, to:

-get as much rest as you can
    -drink plenty of fluids
    -eat a balanced diet
    -exercise (appropriately)

If the cough lasts for more than a few days or you experience difficulties breathing then you should see your doctor.

I hope you are feeling better now.

Best wishes,

LJ

thanks to your advice jmarsden!

You're very welcome! Hope you are feeling better.