Hybrid View

Question leave for work overseas after months after giving birth

I have to leave for work in a cruise ship maybe months after giving birth. Im a first time mom and I donít know when the best time is to stop breastfeeding . what can I do to prepare my child for bottle-feeding? I fear that my baby would have a weak immune system if I depend on feeding bottles. Help!

Oh boy, that is a tough one. How long will you be away from the baby per time out? Could you pump breast milk a few times a day while you working and store it until you return? Even though it will not be easy, being away from the baby for long stretches of work does not necessarily mean you have to give up breastfeeding.

unfortunately, i have to be away for 6 months or so but i plan to leave when my baby reaches 6 months and let my mother take care of the baby while im away. uhhh, i feel like a bad mom...but what can i do?...im a single mom and i have to work :((

Hi iyah80,

Congratulations in advance for becoming a soon-to-be-mum. mom2many is right about having such a tough question. Single moms also deserve the credit of being called a super mum. In your case, I believe that before you get back to regular work, whether it is near or far from home, you will be given some couple of months and in most countries, this is even mandatory. You would need to have time to rest after giving birth during this time.

Why not make the most out of it. What I mean is that you would want to breastfeed your child within those months at full rate. As long as your baby's feeding (the first 2 to 6 months) is more on breast milk. Whether you feed your baby directly or through a feeding bottle, as long as it is mostly on breast milk, everything will be better..hopefully.

I may not be an expert on giving breastfeeding tips but based on my own experience, it works.

Hope your baby is fine and best wishes on you next journey to mommy hood.

As Mum of three stated, I would just breastfeed, either expressed or straight from the breast, until you get ready to go. Some time on the breast is better than none. If possible, you could also express and store breast milk during the morning and afternoon and keep it in the freezer, so your baby will have milk for sometime after you are gone.

You are not a bad mother. You are wonderful, strong woman who is doing what you have to do to for your baby and yourself to survive.

Hello iyah80,

I want to commend you on your choice to give life to your child because being a single mum has it's challenges. I'm so happy that your mum is willing to help you by caring for your child when you are working.

If you breastfeed those first 6 months you will be giving your child a wonderful start on life.

I agree with mom2many - you will be able to pump to save up milk for when you're away. If you stay with your bub almost all the time during those 6 months before you have to leave, you're baby will stimulate your milk supply a lot so that you should have plenty to pump and feed.

The best time to pump is morning and afternoon because this is typically when your milk supply will be at it's highest. Most women find that their milk supply drops in the evening.

I'd encourage you to get a high quality breast pump to make your pumping experience as easy as possible.

Please post any breast pumping questions you may have here.

Warm regards,

Kate

thanks to all the responses i've got. at least now i have an idea what to do. for sure i'll be able to breastfeed my child for 3 months straight, but then again, i really feel bad about it

You will be giving your baby the best start ever by breastfeeding as long as you can. It's important that you watch some breastfeeding videos or attend a breastfeeding class before you have your baby so you'll know how to best position the baby at the breast to avoid discomfort and to help ensure that you have an enjoyable and successful breastfeeding experience.

You're going to be a great mum! Please post back anytime you have questions.

Warm regards,

Kate

thanks for the advice kate. ill watch those breastfeeding videos online so i can get tips about breastfeeding.

Hi iyah80,

You also asked how to prepare your baby to take a bottle for when you need to leave.

I would encourage you to have your mum care for your child for a 3 or 4 hour stretch a few days a week before you leave. This will mean that she will offer the baby a bottle of breastmilk without you being present. It will also help bub to become more comfortable with your mum, but I'm guessing you may be living at home with your mum, so that won't be an issue.

Looking forward to following you through your pregnancy and offering support as needed. When is your baby due again?

Kind Regards,

Kate

Hi iyah80,

I was just watching a breastfeeding video on youtube, and I wanted to post it here for you because you were concerned that you wouldn't be able to breastfeed for as long as you like, but you were hoping to breastfeed for 6 months.

Take a look at what they say about mums who breastfeed for at least 6 months and post back with what you learn, and what you think about this video.

http://youtu.be/zFmcw0UxfHI