Thread: stressing !

stressing !

hello :-) please help. i am stressing about the paternity
    on the 2nd of January i had protected and safe sex with a condom. i had my period from the 7th until the 12th of January. i then took a blood test on the 12th of January stating a negative pregnancy result. i had unprotected sex for the rest of the month and my first scan on Feb 20 stated i was 5 weeks 6 days and due date 16/10/12.
    my nuchal scan on April 10 said i was 13 weeks but according 2 the measurement it was probably 2 or 3 days more. i had a 3rd scan done on April 20 due 2 bleeding and it stated i was 14 weeks 4 days making my due date 15/10/12. only one day off my due date.
    in December my lmp was 9th of December but a short period. January period i was bleeding quite heavy bright red blood and period lasted 6 days.
    did i get pregnant from the January 2nd event with a condom? or after my period?
    thank you so much xxx

Ultrasounds determine due date using an educated guess, based on baby's size. Considering when the first bout of sex took place and that it was protected, it most likely did not lead to conception. The fact that you had a perfectly normal period following that sexual encounter also suggests that fertilization did not occur. Furthermore, blood tests are pretty accurate when it comes to confirming pregnancy.

Assuming you have a normal cycle, with your last menstrual period having started 7/01/12, your baby was likely conceived sometime around 21/01/12. Maybe even a few days later.

One thing that many women do not realize is that two weeks are added to the conception date, so when you are 6 weeks pregnant by standard dating protocol, you actually conceived around 4 weeks earlier. Does that make sense?

I can understand your stress, worrying about paternity is scary. All signs point to you having conceived after the January period, with the partner who you had unprotected sex with. It's highly unlikely that you got pregnant on January 2nd. I'd venture to say close to impossible. However, DNA tests are relatively non-invasive. You may even be able to purchase one over the counter. Once baby is here, taking a test can put your worries to ease for sure.

-Angela

thank you

Quote Originally Posted by mom2many View Post
    Ultrasounds determine due date using an educated guess, based on baby's size. Considering when the first bout of sex took place and that it was protected, it most likely did not lead to conception. The fact that you had a perfectly normal period following that sexual encounter also suggests that fertilization did not occur. Furthermore, blood tests are pretty accurate when it comes to confirming pregnancy.

Assuming you have a normal cycle, with your last menstrual period having started 7/01/12, your baby was likely conceived sometime around 21/01/12. Maybe even a few days later.

One thing that many women do not realize is that two weeks are added to the conception date, so when you are 6 weeks pregnant by standard dating protocol, you actually conceived around 4 weeks earlier. Does that make sense?

I can understand your stress, worrying about paternity is scary. All signs point to you having conceived after the January period, with the partner who you had unprotected sex with. It's highly unlikely that you got pregnant on January 2nd. I'd venture to say close to impossible. However, DNA tests are relatively non-invasive. You may even be able to purchase one over the counter. Once baby is here, taking a test can put your worries to ease for sure.

-Angela
    thank you for replying. he condom didn't tear or come off so according to all the facts i have, can i be confident that it i definitely got pregnant around the 22nd of January? i know how rare it is anyway to get pregnant with a safe condom.
    i appreciate ur time x

Hello blessed77,

Have you had your baby yet? How did the birth go? How are you doing?

Thinking about you.

Kate

How are things? I totally understand stressing! I do know the paternity of my baby but he is not apart of our life at all. In fact he does not even live in the same country and I have not contacted him. The little one and I are doing fine despite that. I hope everything worked out for you!