Hybrid View

Donor Sperm and blood group

Hi All,

How will I know what would be the blood group of the baby with donor sperm? Usually the blood group would be either of the parents. In this case, is there a way to know before hand?

Thanks,
    Gayatri
    Thanks
    gayatri

If you know the blood type of the father, and you know the blood type of the mother, then you'll know exactly what blood types the child could have. The only time when you would know for sure what the blood type of the child will be is if the Mother and the Father are both blood type O.

Here's how it works...

Everyone has 2 antigens - a dominant genotype and a sub dominant genotype.

People who are blood type A can either be Aa (receiving an A from both parents) or Ao (receiving an A from one parent, and an O from the other). Anytime there is an O with another blood type, the O becomes recessive, and the other blood type becomes dominant.

People who are blood type B can be either Bb or Bo.

People who are blood type AB got an A from one parent and a B from the other. A and B are always dominant, so... there is not a subgenotype in this blood type. They express the A and B antigens equally.

In our family, I am AB and my husband is O. I only had an A or a B to give a child, and my husband only had an O to give (all O blood types are Oo, so only an "O" to give).

It's kind of funny because when my first midwife learned this, she said, "I suppose you could have a child with any blood type." Well that wasn't accurate (I learned in later years). Actually, my husband and I couldn't produce an AB child because my husband didn't have an A or a B to give, and we couldn't produce an O child because I didn't have an O to give. So we can only produce children who are either blood type A or blood type B (and we've had them all typed, and they are either A or B).

I also know that our A children are Ao and our B children are Bo - we can't create children that are Aa or Bb because my husband didn't have an A or a B to give.

I also know that my father is blood type A and I don't know what my mother was (she passed away). But I know that I'm AB and my sister is AB, so my mother had to have a B in her blood type. She was either blood type AB or B - I know she was not blood type A and I know she was not blood type O.

Kind of fun to figure these things out - it's like solving a puzzle (for those who enjoy solving puzzles).

Warm regards,

Kate

Thanks Kate! This was informative
    Thanks
    gayatri

That IS very informative Kate. You always have such thorough answers. I did not know most of that!