Hybrid View

Ectopic Pregnancy

How can one avoid ectopic pregnancy?

I have some close relatives who have experienced ectopic pregnancies. Iím just wondering if such kind of pregnancy can be avoided or inherited. What are the risks of experiencing this kind of pregnancy?

The precise estimate is unclear, but ectopic pregnancies occur in 1 out of 40 to 1 out of 100 gestations.

The risk factors for an ectopic pregnancy, which is a dangerous condition wherein a fertilized egg implants outside of the uterus, are many. Ectopic pregnancies cannot typically progress to full-term and their existence is life-threatening for mum.

Common Known Risk-Factors Include:
    3Birth defects in the Fallopian tubes
    Complications from appendicitis
    Endometriosis
    Advanced maternal age (35+)
    Uterine scarring from previous surgeries/procedures/infections
    Previous ectopic pregnancy
    Pregnancy that occurs while an IUD is in place
    In vitro fertilization
    Multiple sex partners
    Having a tubal ligation 2+ years in the past

Hi mom2many,

Thanks for the response. I learned a lot from it. Two of my aunts had such kind of pregnancy (ectopic); one is at her 40's while the other is at her 50's. Advanced maternal age (35+) could be one factor, though I also heard that my older aunt underwent ligation when she got pregnant at the age of 50+.

Again, thank you. I really appreciate the facts that you've shared.

Regards,
    mumjane

Glad you found some of what you were looking for mumJane! Hope the information I provided is able to help you.

Hi mom2many,

Thanks for prompt response to my queries. Hoping to be answered again on my future questions.

Regards,
    mumjane

A couple of other things that contribute to ectopic pregnancy are mucus in the fallopian tubes, and either scar tissue or endometrial tissue in the tubes.

Avoiding any chance of obtaining a sexually transmitted disease will reduce the chances of getting an infection in the tubes, which could create scarring. There is an abdominal massage which can be done to help loosen adhesions and scar tissue.

Avoiding dairy products while trying to conceive would reduce the amount of mucus in the tubes.

You can also eat a diet high in leafy green vegetables and low in sugars and simple carbohydrates to help reduce endometriosis growth in the tubes.

The healthier the fallopian tubes, the less chance of ectopic pregnancy.

Warm regards,

Kate

Hi Kate,

I didn't know that avoiding dairy products could also affect the amount of mucus in the tubes. Perhaps, a healthy diet is really what I need.

Again, thanks.

Regards,

mumjane

Dairy products are known to cause inflammation in the body as is wheat and sugar.

A healthy diet that includes lots of fresh fruits and vegetables and high quality animal protein is superior to a diet that has a lot of sugar, wheat and dairy in it.

Hope this helps.

Warm Regards,

Kate