going back to work

Hello. I will be going back to work in a few weeks now since I just gave birth last June. I was wonder if I can ask about any suggestion on how to manage and balance my time as I will be on night shift and breastfeeding my little one.

Going back to work on night shift may prove to be a bit of a challenge if the person caring for your baby will want him to sleep during the night.

So a schedule might look like this (with a 2 month old baby):

Let's say you work from 11pm-8am.

You would get home at 8:30 and feed your baby. Then stay up with baby and run your errands, do housework, etc. until lunch time. Have lunch, and then you can lay down with him for nap time. You will probably sleep for a good 8 hours, but baby will sleep on and off and will also need some "play time".

When you wake up at 9PM, breastfeed your baby again, and try to "top him off" before you leave for work.

You will need to pump while you are at work, so having a high quality breast pump that you can use in the car (if needed) will be important. Pumping during break, during "lunch" and during the 2nd break should be sufficient, but you may find that you need more than 10 minutes to pump.

It's definitely going to be a challenge, but your milk supply will adjust, even if you only pump once while you are at work (on your lunch).

I think it will be important that your son as a few hours of you when you get home from work. He will want to see you and it will be a good bonding time for you.

I'm guessing that it won't be too hard to adjust initially, because he will be sleeping quite a bit, but as he grows, he will sleep less, and his/your schedule may change.

Anyone else have any insight? I'm not too familiar with a working mum's breastfeeding schedule when she works nights.

Warm regards,

Kate

Hi,

I have a friend who continued breastfeeding whilst working a night shift part time. She expressed milk every 3 hours at work and found this worked for her to both stock up on enough milk and to maintain her supply. Your work place legally have to provide somewhere for you to express and somewhere suitable to store the milk.

I think it will be important for you to establish a routine for when you are working nights so that you are able to get enough sleep. This is important for your body so that you can continue to produce enough milk. My friend said it is difficult to adjust at first but manageable once you have established a system.

How many night shifts/hours will you be working a week?

Best wishes,

LJ

Thanks for the suggestions.

Hi. I used to be a kindergarten teacher but I stopped working four years ago ever since I gave birth to my second child. Now that my daughter is 4 years old, I would like to go back to work. Do I still have a chance at work? I've been a stay-at-home mum since giving birth to my second child and I'm not getting any younger. Will someone still hire me?

Most employers don't mind hiring people under the age of 50, so you're skills are still very marketable at your age (in your 30's).

Warm Regards,

Kate

Thanks Kate

Hi Patty,

I was the Office Manager for a Christian Preschool for about 6 years. We always needed good teachers and used substitutes often.

I think that a great way to get your foot back in the door would be to substitute for preschool and elementary school. This often leads to a more permanent position.

Warm Regards,

Kate

Hi Kate,

I'd love to try that so I can go back to work again. That's a great idea. Thanks

Patty

I am a former teacher as well Patty. It has been three years since I left the job and I am hoping to get back in by next school year. Just wanted to let you know that you are not alone.

-Angela