Thread: best time

best time

I have a 2 month old baby and I am really curious on when is the perfect time to introduce Solid food to my little one?

It is typically recommended that you introduce solids at six months of age or older. If the baby is not showing signs of interest, it is ok to wait just a bit longer.

Thanks so much.

Yes, as mom2many says it is best to wait until your baby is 6 months old before you begin weaning them. Exclusive breastfeeding is recommended for the first 6 months of life and you don't even need to give your baby water as the breast milk will have all the nutrients your baby needs.

A baby needs to be developmentally ready before they begin solid food. Signs that your baby is ready include: your baby can sit unaided, your baby is showing an interest in solid food, your baby can reach and grab for objects in front of them.

Best wishes,

LJ

Most of my babies were not interested or ready for solids until they were about 8 months old. My first didn't really start eating a lot of solids until she was a year.

Baby Lead Weaning is a wonderful approach that is worth learning about.

Laura-Jane practices Baby Led Weaning and I'd like to know why I see mums giving their children fruit with the skins on - like bananas and melon and papaya.

I would personally suggest that you be sure to remove the skins from these UNLESS they are organic - but even then I think I'd give the baby a piece of banana that they could hold on to, but not with the skin, and a slice of melon they could hold onto but not the skins - at least until they are old enough to be able to use their teeth to pull the flesh from the skin.

Here's a cute video that shows day 1 and 2 in baby led weaning. What are your thoughts on this, Laura-Jane?

Awww that's such a cute video!

From a 'textbook baby led weaning' approach it's best to offer the baby a range of foods at any sitting. Also, in Gill Rapley's book it talks about offering the baby the food (e.g putting it on their tray) but not putting the food in their hands. The thinking with leaving the skins on is that it is then easier for the baby to hold the slippery fruits. Organic fruit and veg is preferable though.

The essence of baby led weaning is that your baby knows best and to trust and respect them in this (as with the essence of breastfeeding on demand).

Best wishes,

LJ

Interesting insight.

Anyone introducing solids to their babies should definitely be aware of The Dirty Dozen List which used to have 10 foods that are highest in pesticide residues, but now include a few more. You'll also learn 15 conventionally grown foods (not organic) that have the lowest amount of pesticides. The lower pesticide foods would be what you would choose to feed your baby if buying organic wasn't an option.

I would definitely choose organic corn if I were to feed my baby corn because in some countries, nearly all conventionally grown corn comes from genetically modified organisms (GMO) and that presents it's own set of problems.

If not serving organic, I would definitely take any skins off of fruits and vegetables because that's going to be where most of the toxic pesticides are found and you don't want baby sucking on that.

I will also say that I saw a video of a 6 month old who was given a chicken drumstick, and she sucked a rather large piece of chicken right off the bone (it was very tender) and literally swallowed it without any chewing. Baby was fine, but my concern is that I know that the first step in good digestion is saliva and chewing (teeth). If baby isn't chewing the food well, and the food isn't pureed and cooked well, then baby is going to have a harder time digesting the food which means he won't be getting all the nutrients from the food that he may need.

Thus, mostly breastfeeding is a really good idea for the first year. I'd have to say that God intended it to be that way because most babies don't have enough teeth and aren't developmentally ready to really "chew" food until after a year.

However I love the idea of giving baby a variety of foods to choose from. When you give anyone a variety of foods to choose from (considering it's all healthy food, and not candy, cakes and ice cream) they will choose foods that their bodies need. Your body tells you what you need. You'll notice that if you're given a choice of olives or fruit salad, you'll choose one over the other. You might switch to the other one after you've finished the first, but your body will usually give you a craving of an interest for foods that have nutrients the body is lacking.

Babies are much the same way, so Baby Led Weaning has a wonderful premise. I'd just be careful to take the useful information in the book and leave the other parts, formulating my own plan for feeding my baby, according to all I've learned. That's the beauty of reading and learning. We can then formulate a plan that works best for us.

Kate