Hybrid View

what to eat when breast feeding

Hello there, I am a breast feeding mom and sometimes my breast milk aren't just enough for my son. I would like to ask if you guys have any idea on what should I be eating so that I will be having enough milk for my son. By the way, is it true that when you eat soup a lot, it would give you a lot of breast milk as well?

Why do you think that the milk you are supplying is not enough? How old is your son? Are you supplementing with formula? Does he eat solids?

As for diet during breastfeeding it is largely the same as any other time in a woman's life. It is important that you stay hydrated by drinking lots of water and you eat around 300-500 additional calories a day to support the calories burned off by breastfeeding. Oatmeal and feungreek are supposed to increase supply. You may want to consider adding them to your diet if possible.

Best of luck!

Angela

Hi, Angela. Because after my son's breast feeding he still cries and that would make me let him take formula feeding. He is just 2 months old.

I agree with mom2many. Fenugreek tea or capsules are very beneficial for increasing milk supply.

Get enough water because your milk is mostly made from water. Homemade vegetable soup or broth made from chicken bones or beef bones will also be very nourishing for you, and the water in the soup will help with milk supply.

You need to get enough rest, too, in order to have a good milk supply. The more stress and lack of rest, the harder it will be for you to keep your milk supply up.

Also, you'll want to put baby to the breast regularly - like every 2 hours so that his sucking can stimulate your milk supply. If you start to offer supplemental bottles of formula, that will mean less suckling at the breast and less stimulation of your milk supply.

If you're finding that you need to offer your son formula and you want ideas on how to do this while still allowing him to stimulate your milk supply, please ask and we'll be happy to give you ideas on how to do this.

Warm regards,

Kate

Hi there. This is because I work during nights so that's the reason why I intended to have him formula feeding.

Hi fmadrigal,

I completely agree with the comments above.

Many mums do think that they are not producing enough milk for their baby (in fact, studies have shown this is a significant factor which causes mums to stop breastfeeding early) but for the vast majority of women their body will produce the breast milk the baby needs. For up to 6 months of age this will happen best if you breastfeed exclusively on demand. Any formula you give a baby will lead to the body compensating and producing less milk on the next day.

One factor which is known to produce a temporary reduction in your milk supply is when you start ovulating. Have your periods started yet? There is less than 1% likelihood of your periods returning in the first 6 months if you breastfeed exclusively on demand - although it can happen.

In terms of diet, you need to make sure you drink enough fluids and, as Kate says, get enough rest. Oats are known as a good food to eat to help with your milk supply. Stress or illness can reduce your milk supply.

Is your baby generally happy and developing and gaining weight well (and giving plenty of wet and dirty nappies)? If this is the case then you probably don't need to be concerned about how much breast milk you are producing.

I hope this is useful to you.

Best wishes,

LJ

Hi,

I saw your other post asking about babywearing and I hope this will help your son to settle.

Do you think your son has wind after feeding? You may find that holding him in an upright position after feeding or feeding him in a more upright position helps with this.

Is your son feeding on demand in the daytime? Because you will be away from your son at night when you are working your body will not produce enough breast milk for him unless you regularly express milk during this time. I know it is so hard when you have to work and care for your baby. It is possible to continue to breastfeed through expressing at night (and having stored breast milk ready for the person that will care for him at night) and then feeding him on the breast in the day but it is a decision only you can make as it will require commitment. You are doing a super job with breast feeding your son already! I thought you may find this breastfeeding story interesting and inspirational as it is about a mum who exclusively expressed for 6 months.

With best wishes,

LJ