Thread: Smoking mothers

Hybrid View

Smoking mothers

I am 6 months pregnant and so as my dear friend. I think I am just a few weeks ahead of her. I am very concerned because she is still smoking. How can this affect her baby's brain development? Also, is it true that she can have a miscarriage because of smoking?

Thank you for your help.

Smoking during pregnancy is detrimental to the baby's health. It deprives oxygen, essentially lowering the child's IQ and other elements of their brain development. It is also linked to a number of birth defects, low birth weight, stillbirth, high maternal blood pressure, and neonatal death. Parent's who smoke increase the risk of their baby dying from Sudden Infant Death Syndrome during the first year of life. They also increase the risk of asthma in the baby,

If there is anyway to do so, I encourage you to convince your friend to quit smoking. I know three women who smoked during pregnancy who have had serious complications as a result. One of these women had a stillborn, another had a baby born without any bones past the knee, and the last had a child with a congenital heart defect.

Hi concernedmomiya,

I am afraid I have to agree with mom2many that the affects of smoking during pregnancy, and around a baby or child, are serious. It would also be best for you to avoid being near to your friend when she is smoking as even passive smoking can have a negative effect on you and your baby.

If your friend has smoked for some time then it will be difficult for her to stop, even knowing the health consequences. Many midwives are able to put in place a 'quit smoking program' so it would be useful if your friend talked to her midwife about this.

Other methods to quit smoking during pregnancy include:

- attending a local support or counselling group
    - hypnotherapy
    - nicotine replacement therapy
    - doing an activity to distract yourself when you get a craving

There is lots of support out there for pregnant mums as it is so important to stop smoking.

I hope this helps your friend.

Best wishes,

LJ

Hello, yes I am very much concerned about it. She won't listen because her first child was born in good health. I did try to convince her though that every child might have different situations. But then, thanks for the help. I will let her know about your advises. I just hope that its not too late to stop her.

I have a friend who went to an acupuncturist and had acupuncture treatment which helped her nicotine cravings. She was able to stop smoking when she became pregnant and she didn't smoke during the rest of her pregnancy.

Maybe it's not so much that your friend doesn't want to stop, but more that she can't see a way to free herself from the nicotine addiction.

Kate