Hybrid View

question on homebirth

My mother in law would always tell me that I should just give birth at home. However, I am really and totally scared. Our house is not sanitized and I am not sure if its safe for me and the baby. So, please help me out. Can you please give me pros and cons of having a home birth? Also, how to get rid of my refusal to it.

Thanks!

I am a firm believer in the fact that women should birth where they are most comfortable. It does not sound like homebirth is the most comfortable choice for you and that is quite alright.

However, I can address the issue of sanitation. Your home does not have to be sanitized for a safe home birth. It should be clean of course, but no more than your standard cleaning. The bacteria and germs in your home belong to you and your baby. They are safe. You pass antibodies on to your little one through the placenta and breastmilk to protect him/her from these familiar types of bacteria.

In this respect, home birth is sometimes seen as SAFER than hospital birth. The reason being that hospitals are filled with all kinds of bacteria and germs that are not familiar to you and your baby. These are germs that you may never have been exposed to before and have no built up immunity to pass on.

I encourage you to study up on homebirth by reading articles in the homebirth section of this website.

You may also want to study up on birth centres, as I feel they provide an excellent compromise between home and hospital.

Thank you. This is really a big help for me. I am 2 and a half months away from giving birth. I really hope I can decide by then. Well, just in case I will be advised to have a normal birth.

If you want to have the best chance of having a natural birth a homebirth or birth attended by a midwife can often offer this.

Here are some homebirth stories for you to read which might help you to better understand what a homebirth experience offers that a hospital birth does not.

What are you thinking at this point? You can always transfer your care to a midwife in the last month of pregnancy.

Warm regards,

Kate
    Last edited by 5Homebirths4Kate; 23rd September 2012 at 08:23 AM.

Hi concernedmomiya,

I think you must only have around 6-7 weeks until your due date now. How are you feeling? I hope you are able to find plenty of time to relax and get enough sleep as this is important in the third trimester.

Did you make a decision with where you would like to give birth? I hope you are feeling well-supported in whatever birth preferences you have decided.

Please do let us know if you have any further questions.

Best wishes,

LJ