Short cervix at 18 weeks!!

During my 18 week anomaly scan it was noticed I have a very short cervix (1.5cm)- I think this is due to a loop diathermy treatment I had 5 hrs ago for pre cancerous cells. The obstetrician called me in and prescribed progesterone suppositories. I'm still working full time though as dr said i dont need to be off on bed rest but im terrified I'll lose my baby. I just wondered if anyone else was diagnosed with a similarly short length so early on? And has anyone been prescribed progesterone or advised bed rest?

I just hope I can hold on another 10 weeks at least !!!!

Well, after posting last week I went for my weekly scan with the hospital and my cervix has shortened even more to 1 cm at 19+4 weeks! My obstetrician suggested an emergency cerclage and I was admitted the next day.
    although I was gutted the cervix had shortened even further I was actually releived that there was going to be a solution to the problem.
    I was very nervous going into surgery in case my waters were accidentally broken in surgery but they said as there was no evidence of dialation that was positive.
    I had a general anesthetic , the procedure was apx 45 mins and I woke in recovery feeling ok. I was kept in overnight and given some pretty strong antibiotics via an iv drip ( which was the most painful part!) there was a bit of pain and waking was hard for the first two days but generally I feel pretty good.
    I've been given oral antibiotics to take of a week and return to have my cervical length monitored every wеek to check the stitch is holding. They said they only managed to gain 0.5cm in length from the stitch as I didn't have very much of a cervix left from my loop diathermy procedure previously!!!
    I'll be off work for a week to ensue the stitch heals properly then back to normal activities - but obviously have to take things easy- no lifting etc.... Not sure about sex or Stairs yet- I'll have to a ask later.
    I am very pleased though with the care I received in hospital and all the doctors and nurses we great- I was at the RPA in Sydney as a public patient and can't praise them enough.

Administrator
    Hi Loub - I hope that you've had an uneventful recovery after the cervical stitch has been put in. Only a week off work? It doesn't seem very long. Have you been advise to have any other treatment such as progesterone suppositories or Nitroglycerin patches?
    Hidden Content aussiemidwife
    Moderator Pregnancy, Birth and Beyond
    Hidden Content

Administrator

Cervical Stitch

I though you might be interested in what a cervical stitch (suture) looks like. This photograph was sent to me by one of my clients to share with others (who gave birth after her due date by the way).

cervical-suture-web.jpg

It is quite thick. Is it what you expected?
    Hidden Content

I was not diagnosed early with a short cervix. I was actually over the term of pregnancy when I had to have surgery. They checked me until the last few days, and then the same day I was admitted. They actually tried to dilate me, but that did not work at all. Wow one week I am sorry for that it sounds really short, but after my surgery I was up walking to be honest. Which I knew I had to so that I could go home as well. Hope you get better and good luck. I know I was a little late on this post. Hope everything went well.

Hi Loub. I know your post was from a long time ago, but I'm in a very similar situation to you. I'm 18 weeks with a 1.6 cm cervix. It's also possibly due to a LEEP procedure which was done last year. I've been doing the progesterone suppositories for a couple of weeks now, but it's still been shortening. I'm also on a round of Indomethacin for the next couple of days. I go for another check next week and will decide then whether or not to do the emergent cerclage. I hope things went ok for you -- I'm a little overwhelmed and looking for some advice on the subject.

Hi geneparmesan,

Thank you very much for your post.

I'm really sorry to read that you are having problems and concerns with a short cervix. I will let our midwife Jane know about your post as I do not have experience of this.

In the mean time, I send you my best wishes and here are some resources you may not have come across yet:

diagnosing cervical incompetence
    cervical insufficiency
    short cervix in pregnancy

With my best wishes,

LJ

Administrator
    Dear geneparmesan - I am sorry to hear about your shortened cervix. It is a hard subject to get information on. Just so you have some positive stories to read. A woman I know had a very short cervix, infact the middle of the cervix was opening (it is called funnelling). You could see the membranes through it. She had a cervical stitch, had bed rest and progesterone suppositories. She ended up giving birth at 39 weeks (full term). This woman has given me permission to share her story. There are many positive stories like this. While we know that there is an increased risk of premature birth there are many women who go on to give birth at full term.
    Hidden Content

Hi all

I'm in a similar situation to geneparmesan and have been diagnosed with a cervix of 1.8 with funnelling at 20 weeks. I have been put on progesterone and told to go back for a scan in 2 weeks. I actually booked it for only 10 days as by then I will be 22 weeks 3 days, and I am nervous. It went from 2.2 to 1.8 in 6 days, so I hope it won't keep doing that!
    The obstetrician at the hospital said that there is no evidence bedrest has any effect, but so many doctors seem to put women on bedrest anyway, and women seem to believe it works. Any thoughts on this? I am trying to take it a lot easier than usual and work from home when I can, but not really sure what is best...( I don't want to go on bedrest if it is a waste of time, it sounds horrible).
    also, does anyone know if 23 weeks is too late to do a cerclage if necessary? The doctor told me they don't really like doing them these days because of risks...so I feel I have no choice but to put a lot of trust in this progesterone! Any thoughts from the midwife, or people with experience very welcome...thank you

Administrator
    From the reading I've done it reported that bed rest didn't make any difference. Sorry I wish I had better news. I think many doctors recommend it as they feel at least they are recommending a course of action rather than doing nothing. There are risks associated with inserting a cervical stitch and you have to weigh those against the potential benefits that a stitch may provide (again the research I read wasn't all that positive in favour of inserting a cervical stitch).
    Hidden Content