breast milk as early as 6 months

Hello

I already have breast milk as early as 6 months in my current pregnancy. I want to know if the milk is safe to let my daughter who is turning 2 years old to drink it? Is it okay? I mean is that milk clean? I want to pump it to make sure I have plenty of milk. You see, this is my first time to breastfeed a child if ever. I was not able to give my first one lots of milk, and I just pump it for her. This would really help me.

Thanks!

It will not hurt your two-year-old, it is certainly clean and fine to drink, but I wouldn't really recommend that you pump right now. What your body is likely producing right now is called colostrum, it is a super-fatty pre-milk that is full of specially formulated antibodies. When you give birth the hormones in your body will kick in and prompt you to produce more colostrum for a few days, followed by regular breast milk. Your baby will supply the demand necessary to make plenty of milk, the fact that you are already producing is a good sign. If you were currently breastfeeding your two-year-old, my advice would be different. But since she is not on the breast, I would just let things happen naturally. Once your new baby is here and regularly consuming milk, there is no reason you can't pump extra to share with your two-year-old if you so choose.

Wow thanks a lot! This is really helpful.

How much milk are you producing? Is it bothersome to you? Does it wet your bra to the point where you have to change it?

There is a condition that you may need to talk to your midwife or doctor about that can cause premature milk production in pregnant women.

Warm regards,

Kate