Thread: being noisy

Hybrid View

being noisy

Hi, we are very busy people at home and I have a 2 month old son. I want to ask if how does the noise affect the baby?

Hi,

If you are concerned about the noise levels affecting your baby's hearing then I can reassure you that normal household noise (even in a very busy and noisy household!) will not have any adverse affect on your baby's hearing.

You may find that your baby becomes used to having a certain amount of background noise present. This can help to settle some babies and help them to sleep. Therefore, if (on some occasions) the house is unusually quiet your baby may like to have some background noise present (e.g. a radio or you can even download white noise) to help him to settle.

I hope this answers your question.

Best wishes,

LJ

Thank you so much for the reply.

LJ gave some good advice. If you happen to find that your baby is irritable and it's noisy, then your baby could also be overstimulated. In a noisy situation (louder than normal household activity) you would want to be sure that you remove your child from the environment if he seems agitated.

This is something you'll want to keep in mind as your child grows older. Toddlers and preschoolers will often be overstimulated from too much noise or activity and you'll be able to tell by the way they act.

Warm regards,

Kate

Yes, I agree to that. I asked because there were just some issues that we had at home and some of us might be shouting to each other.

The bigger concern with a child being exposed to shouting is not so much the level of the noise, but the tension in the home.

Children who live in a situation where there is a lot of negativism and/or aggression will tend to pattern that as they grow older. If you have shouting in the home, you will find that your child tends to bite or hit or even throw tantrums because this is his way of expressing the anxiety and stress that has built up within him. Now, of course, every child will act out at times, even children who grow up in calm, loving environments, but a child who is exposed to aggression/violence on TV and in the home will have a much greater tendency towards aggressive behavior.

I hope this information is helpful. If you ever need more help in knowing how to avoid an escalating situation for the safety of you and/or your child, feel free to post back and we will give you direction on where to get the help you need.

Warm Regards,

Kate