Thread: Pacifier

Pacifier

I started to have my 2 month old baby used a pacifier. My friends told me that it isn't good because he is still too young. Is it safe for him?

Hi,

I know from your previous posts that you are breastfeeding your baby. This is one reason as to why using a pacifier is not best; a baby may suck on the pacifier when they in fact should be sucking on the breast, thus, it can lead to your baby not getting enough milk. I know you have been concerned that you may not be producing enough breast milk so I would particularly advise you not to use a pacifier with your baby as if your baby is not on the breast when they need milk then your body will begin to stop producing enough milk.

Some healthcare professionals advise waiting until your breastfed baby is 12 weeks old before introducing any pacifiers or bottles as breastfeeding is still being established during this time. It is best if you are able to not use the pacifier and to breastfeed your baby on demand.

If you have been using a pacifier to settle your baby, then you could try babywearing or swaddling.

In light of your question, I don't think using a pacifier is unsafe (in fact, the strongest argument for pacifier use is that some studies show it reduces the risk of cot death) but it can have a negative affect on breastfeeding.

I hope this answers your question.

Best wishes,

LJ

Thank you so much for those informations that you are giving me. Yes, I use pacifier every time I wanted to make him settle. I don't want him to be used to cuddling all the time in settling him.

Hi,

I think it may be best if you reduced the pacifier use as this could explain why you feel your baby is not getting enough breast milk. For example, suppose your baby cries/is unsettled because he wants some more milk. But, instead of offering him the breast again, you settle him with the pacifier. Your body then gets the message that your baby does not need milk on this occasion and as breast milk works on a 'supply and demand' basis it does not produce milk for this feed in the future. Your baby may soon then become unsettled as the true reason they were crying (feeling hungry) has not been solved and you could end up with an unhappy baby but not enough breast milk production to satisfy them.

I am not trying to be negative but I just want to explain the implications of using a pacifier when your baby is so young and you are breastfeeding.

You could try other techniques for settling your baby when they have a nap instead of a pacifier. For example: shushing, rocking, letting your baby watch a mobile spinning, having a comforter toy, baby wearing etc

I have to say that, until very recently, I always comforted my baby on the breast.

Best wishes,

LJ

I agree. Thank you.

LJ has given you some excellent information.

I also want to share that you cannot spoil a baby by cuddling him too much. Your baby was used to being with you in the womb 24 hours a day and being rocked by you 16 hours a day (when you were not sleeping). So you should expect that baby will want to be close to you and rocked when he is out of the womb. This, along with sucking, swaddling, and hearing certain sounds that he was used to hearing in the womb, is what will sooth your baby outside of the womb.

I would encourage you to pick your baby up and cuddle him and/or breastfeed him anytime he starts to fuss. This is his way of saying he needs (not wants) to be close, and needs to be fed.

Have you been putting your baby to the breast more often and if so, has your milk supply increased? Is baby still as fussy, and if so, do you need more ideas on how to settle him?

Looking forward to hearing back from you.

Warm Regards,

Kate