Baby powder - Safe or not?

Is it safe to use baby powder on baby who is 6 month old?

We do not use baby powder in my home. It has been shown to increase the odds of a rash, rather than decrease them, because it tends to reduce natural moisture necessary for healthy skin. It is also can have a detrimental effect on the lungs.

It is best to avoid baby power, in my opinion. I have four beautiful children ranging in age from 19 months to 7 years and have never powdered any of them.

-Angela

I agree with Angela. The American Academy of Paediatrics advices against the use of baby powder because it can cause breathing problems when inhaled. As well as this, there is no evidence that using baby powder reduces the risk or severity of nappy rash. It smells nice but is best avoided in light of the latest evidence.

Best wishes,

LJ

Hi,

I also don't use baby powder as it causes rashes on my baby. I was told not to use it by my pediatrician as well.

Thanks

Tina

If you need to use a powdery type agent on your baby's bottom, you can use corn starch. It is soft on the skin but isn't as "powdery" as baby powder so doesn't cause a problem with inhalation into the lungs.

However, with all 5 of my children, I didn't use baby powder. Sometimes I put it on their skin if I wanted them to smell "like a baby" (at my husband's request) but I was careful not to shake it very strongly in order to avoid it going into the air too much.

Kate

I've heard that baby powder can cause breathing problems. One more thing, Don't put it inside your baby's private parts especially if yours is a girl.. can irritate it. But baby powder helps to ease the itching when you have rashes.. but others here wouldn't agree i guess May i know why it won't help in rashes?
    Last edited by raf; 8th November 2013 at 01:48 PM.

Hi Raf,

The most worrying research I have read on baby powder has lead to the International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC) classifying talc-based body powders as possibly carcinogenic to human.

As you say, there is also sound research that it causes breathing problems which is why health professionals no longer advise its use on babies.

There's actually just no reliable evidence to show baby powder does help to reduce nappy rash. Using a product with Zinc Oxide is recommended to act as a barrier cream if a baby has nappy rash (as well as plenty of nappy free time).

Warm wishes,
    LJ
    p.s. I has no idea about this before I had children and even brought some in pregnancy! I've since thrown it out!

Hi to all,

Pediatricians no longer recommend talc-based baby powders because they're dangerous if inhaled, but I see no danger in cornstarch-based powders if they're used sparingly and carefully.

Use a cornstarch baby powder in your baby's diaper area to help reduce moisture and friction, which can occur when a wet diaper rubs against your baby's skin. Today's diapers tend to be super-absorbent, so most babies won't need daily powder if you change them frequently.

You don't want your baby inhaling any kind of powder, so make sure that you don't get it near her face. Instead, pour a small amount into your hand away from your baby and then apply it when you see her diaper area starting to look a little irritated from chafing.

There are times when cornstarch powder isn't a good idea. If your baby's skin is raw from diaper rash, for example, it's probably best to keep powder off it and use a diaper ointment or cream instead. And if your baby shows any signs of a skin infection — like areas that are red and very warm to the touch or oozing — then don't put powder on it, either. Instead, have your baby's doctor take a look.

Best regards,

Loanngab

All good information here. I've found that baby powder and cornstarch simply aren't needed (and aren't helpful). The best form of nappy rash protection is something with zinc in it. Those are the "white" creams. At one time I used a calendula cream from Weleda and it worked well. I see they've come out with an even better cream, which has calendula (soothing), zinc oxide, bee's wax and lanolin, all of which are protective and soothing to the skin. This great product is the Weleda Calendula Nappy Change Cream.

Hello ljmarsden ,,

yes i've heard it from friends it causes breathing problems and triggers asthma. I've heard it only now that its carcinogenic. what more if you put it on your face some people use it on their faces

Thanks everyone for your comments on this.

It concerns me that talc products are still being sold marketed as baby products. It's worrying isn't it Raf?

Thanks so much for sharing the information on cornstarch Loann - I have also heard good things about this. Like Kate I have only really used Zinc Oxide creams.

Warm wishes,
    LJ

yes Lj, it is still in the market..this forum is informative. thanks too... someone asked me though what if your baby inhaled it already? what would happen?

If they have no obvious breathing problems then the advice is to just stop using the baby powder straight away.

LJ

Thanks Lj! thats what i thought.. i hope no more serious effect once you inhale it.

You're welcome,
    LJ