How to increase milk production?

I only breastfed my two sons for 2 weeks because I have to go back to work. And that's my regret. I should have continued breastfeeding them. In my next child, I am planning to breastfeed exclusively. Do you have any tips on how to increase milk production?

There are many things you can do to increase milk production, but if you aren't aware of any problems in particular, I would encourage you to breastfeed on demand, which means picking your baby up every time he starts to fuss and putting him to the breast.

The more stimulation the breasts have, the more milk will be produced.

I would also encourage new mums to get plenty of rest after birth, and to drink plenty of pure water and fresh juices. You need to stay well hydrated so you have plenty of liquid for your body to create breastmilk from.

Eating a healthy diet high in fresh fruits and vegetables can also help with breastmilk production.

And if you're going to be working, then you'll want to be sure you're pumping every 2 hours in order to keep that milk supply up. Having a hospital grade breast pump can make the whole process much faster.

Sure hope you'll be able to exclusively breastfeed your next baby. It's a wonderful experience and offers so many benefits for both mum and baby.

You can find lots of good breastfeeding information here.

Warm Regards,

Kate

If you have problems with milk production you can always try blessed thistle and fenugreek. A warning, the fenugreek has a strong smell to it and after you have taken it for awhile your sweat will smell like it...lol. They have it in tea form if you don't want to take the pills. Unless you are allergic to one of them they shouldn't be a big deal. Some women do complain of mild nausea. If you are really having problems you can talk to your pediatrician or general practicioner who can give you a script. They tend to start with reglan because it is covered by insurance and fairly cheap. The second medication they could try is domperidone. You can only purchase it at a compounding pharmacy who is authorized to make it. Insurance will not cover it and when I priced it two years ago they quoted me $120 per two week supply. I was able to purchase it online from a reputable company in Europe my sister used. (They no longer sell or ship to the USA.) Using this med, the blessed thistle and fenugreek my sister was able to relactate when she and my bil adopted their second child. Then there are the oatmeal cookies and the breastmilk cookies. Pumping as much as possible. I went as far as to pump through the night every two hours for 30 min after attempting to bf my daughter. With all of that said, I can't tout a miracle story with any of these things. My daughter self weaned at 4 months and went strictly to formula. The week of her first birthday I was diagnosed with congestiveheart failure. My Cardiologist said there was nothing I could have done. My body spent the extra energy to keep my heart going over milk production. The most I ever made in a 24 hour period was 4-5 oz.

All of these ladies have provided excellent information in regards to increasing and sustaining milk supply. Of course the best, and simplest, way to increase and maintain supply is to breastfeed on demand, as frequently as possible. Avoid formula, pacifiers, and bottles during the first month to month-and-a-half. Breast milk production largely functions on a supply and demand sort of schedule. The more you nurse, the more milk you will make.