Hybrid View

Feeding every two hours

Hello there!

I have a toddler who's 17 months old. As what I knew, as the baby grows older, the feeding also lessens.
    My daughter already eats 3 meals a day, with snacks in between. And mind you, she eats a lot.
    But why is it that she still asks for milk every two hours when she's awake? Is that okay?
    Most of my friends told me that their babies' feeding time is just about 3-4 times the whole day.
    I am worried that there might be something wrong with her tummy. Haven't gone to a paediatrician yet.
    Please enlighten me.

That actually sounds pretty normal to me and I have four children. My youngest is currently around 19 months old and still requests milk every few hours. Every baby different, I doubt anything is wrong. Is she still breastfed? If so, she may also be seeking this time for comfort and connection, rather than a simple longing for nourishment. That would be a completely appropriate developmental response for a baby her age, though it varies from child to child. This is why it is so important to not base one child's development on that of another. Plus your friends also may not really realize how often they are feeding their little ones, I know it can be hard for me to remember some days.

She's not breastfed anymore. I stopped when she reached her 12th month. How I wish I could turn back time and continued breastfeeding. This is really one thing I regret.

Thanks for your reply. It enlightened me.

Hi Ryden's Mum,

I stopped breastfeeding after 13 months with my first child and regretted it just like you. But with my 2nd child, I breastfed until he was 3 and he wanted to wean. It was a wonderful experience. Of course they don't breastfeed all day when they're that age, but he enjoyed the experience before naps and first thing in the morning when he was 2.

Be sure Ryden is being offered plenty of healthy foods during the day so that she is not craving the sugar in the milk. I also agree with mom2many, that children can ask for a bottle when they want your attention or they are bored.

You can offer a variety of green smoothies throughout the day, using banana as a base (many children like bananas) and adding leafy greens and other fruits like berries, peaches, cherries, pineapple, oranges, papaya, mango, etc. Children LOVE smoothies and they are high in nutrition. The more "green" you make it, the higher the nutrient value.

Be sure to restrict the simple carbohydrates like rice, crackers, pasta, cookies, biscuits, and items made with white flour and refined sugar. Those things satisfy only for a short time, and create a craving for more of the same... which only ends up with a child (or adult) gaining weight easily, and getting sick more easily. Fresh or frozen fruits and vegetables have way more nutrition in them, ounce for ounce, than processed white flour/white sugar foods.

I'm guessing that once you transition to a healthy diet, and put Ryden on a schedule so that she has planned activites to do during the day, that you will see her take less of an interest in the bottle and that she will likely not ask for milk every 2 hours.

Warm Regards,

Kate