Hybrid View

Environment For A Toddler

Hi everyone!

We live in a home full of adults, no kids around, except for my 17-month old toddler.
    How would this kind of environment affect her personality or character? Is it a disadvantage?
    If it will somehow affect her character negatively, then we might decide to enroll her in a playgroup atleast 3x a week.
    Any suggestions what to do?

This is completely from personal opinion, rather than any expert advice but I do not think it is really an issue at that young of an age. If anything, the highly-adult environment should help the child to progress rapidly in relationship and language development.

So I don't have to worry about this anymore.

Thank you mom2many!

I have actually found that children who socialize more with adults than with children their age are better behaved, better adjusted and do better in just about every area.

The reason for this is because they will emulate your behavior and your language which is much more advanced than their peers (or in this case, other 1 or 2 year olds).

I homeschool my children, so they have had very limited exposure to other children their age, but they are able to socialize very well when we are in situations which requires this. The reason for this is because they have learned to socialize with me and with their father and Grandparents, which has given them skills to socialize appropriately with all ages.

If you want Ryden to be around other children more, then you could put her in a Sunday School class, but again, she really is a bit on the young side for this. At 1 1/2 years of age, she would be in a child care situation, and I would always opt for Mum to be that child care provider over a friend or stranger. We keep our children with us in church, and when they are very young (like Ryden's age) if they make noise, one of us will take the child out and stand in the back. By the time they are about 2 1/2, they can sit quietly in church with us. I bring crayons and paper for them to draw on so they have something quiet to do while they listen. It teaches them that they don't always have to be entertained with glitzy, highly colorful, moving objects.

The first 5 years of Ryden's life will be the most formative years for her and you need to be focused on creating a strong Mother/Daughter bond with her. If you do this, and carry this strong relationship into her school age years, she will have a greater chance of having high self esteem and not giving into peer pressure when she is older.

Cherish the time with your precious Ryden now, and make her a part of most things you do. If you're cleaning the bathroom, she can watch you do this while she plays with a toy. If you're folding clothes, she can be with you. If you're making dinner, she can sit at the table and eat a banana. The more she is with you, the better her development and the more adjusted she will be.

This is what I found to be true with all 5 of my children. And as for me, I was very insecure as a child, but my mother put me in preschool when I was 3, 4, 5 and then I went to elementary school. I also remember being left with baby sitters often. I desperately needed more time with my mother, and I believe that if I had had this, I would have felt much more secure when I was young.

Warm Regards,

Kate

Hello Ryden's Mum!

I know, from personal experience, that it might help to have your child in a play group. I was the only child, and even from a very young age, I was very involved in play groups. Although I had a lot of adult contact, and I grew in my respect and conversation levels, I still cherished the times I could be a child at heart. I'm thankful for the growth (as Kate mentioned) that being an only child has allowed me, however it was also fun to be a little one as well. Just a thought. I hope things are going well for you!

Emily

Thank you Kate for sharing this to me. This inspired me to stay as a hands-on mum during Ryden's formative years!

Thanks a lot Emily, you just encouraged me that babies should have a little bit of both, adults as well as kids around would make a better environment.

Taking Ryden to the park each day would give her something to do, would allow her to work off some energy (and you'd get some exercise too) and would also allow her to interact with other children in a controlled environment (where you are interacting with her and the other children).

When I would take my children to the park, I would stand in the middle of the play area and help them on the slides, push them on the swings, "chase" them around, and "spot" them on the bars. I was playing with them, which also allowed me to assist other children as needed.

This allowed my children to be confident that I was there for them, interacting with them, and it also allowed me to intervene when I saw another child who was saying something that I didn't want my child to say, or doing something that I didn't want my child to do. At that point I would redirect my child to another area of the play ground, or, if needed, we would leave. But usually I just redirected them and that worked well.

What's most important is always keeping in mind how you want your child to act, and realizing that the influences in her life will greatly impact the words she uses and the actions she takes, both now and right through into her own parenting years.

If you want a teenager who respects what you say and who goes to you for advice, then you'll want to be sure that the things she sees and experiences growing up support this. Too often in our society, TV shows, public schools and other families tear down the ideals we hold most dear, and then we're left with children who balk at authority rather than respecting it.

Hold your child's heart close now, protect their heart as they are growing up, and you will keep their heart when they are teenagers.

My 3 oldest children are ages 20, 18 and 14. None of them are or were rebellious teenagers, and the two oldest, who are now in college and have jobs, are very responsible and highly respected by their employers and their peers.

Warm Regards,

Kate